cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook upgrade on server

Paul_E
Level 5

Currently running EV 9.0 SP1 on a 2008 R2 Server with Outlook 2003 installed. Exchange is 2007 SP3 RU10.

Are there any reasons for/against upgrading Outlook to 2007 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Paul,

No, no reason. You only need Outlook 2007 if you plan to archive Exchange 2010/2013

I do advise to apply SP3 on Outlook, plus a hotfix to accomodate mails with >2048 recipients/attachments.

Outlook 2003 is faster with archiving from Journal Mailboxes btw.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA

Hello Paul,

No, no reason. You only need Outlook 2007 if you plan to archive Exchange 2010/2013

I do advise to apply SP3 on Outlook, plus a hotfix to accomodate mails with >2048 recipients/attachments.

Outlook 2003 is faster with archiving from Journal Mailboxes btw.

Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just keep in mind Microsoft's product support lifecycle:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=outlook+2003&Filter=FilterN...

So Outlook 2003 will be supported until April 2014. Then you will *have to* upgrad to get security updates.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Paul_E
Level 5

Thanks for the relpies.

Michelz that was the thinking behind upgrading really. I figured we shouldnt really be using an Outlook client thats 10 years old :)

Having said that GertjanA makes the point about slower archiving from Journal mailboxes. I wonder how much slower and will this cause us any issues ?

GertjanA

Hello Paul,

It all depends on the numbers...

Check this: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/outlook-2007-ev-server-new-ms-hotfix-available

How many items are you journaling, any idea? I am not sure anymore, but I thought archiving slows down a little due to a difference in mapi in OL2007, and also the way messages in the journalmailbox are 'grouped'.

You do need OL2007SP3 with hotfix (or perhaps there is already an SP4, don't know)

Regards. Gertjan