cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override site policy to delete specific messages

gburch-TIS
Level 2

We're using Enterprise Vault 8 on Windows 2008 Server to archive mailboxes from Exchange 2007.  The company policy is that users are not allowed to delete items from the vault, which is enforced at site level due to the "users can delete items from their archives" setting being cleared.  We have a retention policy to retain archived items forever.

However, we have some emails in a particular mailbox which have been archived and shouldn't have been, so I now need to delete some specific messages from a particular vault.  How can I override the site settings for a particular mailbox, or for an administrator account to allow me to delete these messages?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Programatically it should still work....
The other things you can do are making sure the policies are set to not show deletes, allow deletes or anything like that, and remove permissions to deleteo2k.asp to everyone but the evadmin etc.... then give EVAdmin permissions to the users archive, then check the allow users to delete, and then perform the deletions and put back the deletions after that....

And then if you wanted to be really really super duper cautious, you could run a query against JournalDelete of each vault store , and any items that have been deleted, you can go to the archive properties and under deleted items tab, restore all the items they have deleted in that small window of opportunity (assuming the fail safes failed)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You either have to reconfigure EV to allow deletions, then grant yourself access to the archive, remove the item, and reconfigure EV again to prevent deletions. Risk you have is other users will also delete items (albeit in a short timeframe).

There is also a 3rd party tool that meets your requirement:

http://www.quadrotech-it.com/products/revise/

Regards. Gertjan

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks for sharing this tool...but does it work with EV even when site settings prevent deletion of archived items?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello EV_Arjun,

I don't know. I just know the tool is available. If customer is interested, I can check. But, I know some QT people also are active here, perhaps they will answer.

Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Programatically it should still work....
The other things you can do are making sure the policies are set to not show deletes, allow deletes or anything like that, and remove permissions to deleteo2k.asp to everyone but the evadmin etc.... then give EVAdmin permissions to the users archive, then check the allow users to delete, and then perform the deletions and put back the deletions after that....

And then if you wanted to be really really super duper cautious, you could run a query against JournalDelete of each vault store , and any items that have been deleted, you can go to the archive properties and under deleted items tab, restore all the items they have deleted in that small window of opportunity (assuming the fail safes failed)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

gburch-TIS
Level 2

Thanks for the advice so far.

The long-term solution I'll be putting forward is to allow users to delete items at the site level, but remove or deny access to all the UI elements for them to do so as per JesusWept3's reply.

I notice that on the vault itself, there is a specific permission entry to grant or deny permission to delete emails from it.  Is there anyway this could be set for all mailboxes (i.e. script), and change the default settings, and grant the administrator permission?

In the short-term, is there any way to get in via the back-end to remove these emails?