Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Centralization - Server Driven & Client Driven Together

AKL
Level 6
Certified

ello All

Just in middle of business day at work so kind off exhausted. We're running effort to centralize PST files in environment into Enterprise vault (9.0.1.1073)

The PST locator task has been running fine - it went out and found over 12TB files so far and still running. We started through pilot phase as well. We're relying on Server driven migration as our primary way of centralization

The collector task is configured to run in off business hours. We've sent out note to concerned persons to leave their workstations online while this centralization effort completes. The holding folder has limit of 40GB (whch I increased to 200GB today) and we observed that Migrator task is able to process about 35GB in 2 hours.

This post is in some ways related to below one:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pst-centralization-collection-issues

Due to collection issues, I am trying to move some users from server based migration to client based migration. now if I am right, in client drive process:

As each PST file is identified, the client sends the details to the Enterprise Vault server, which dds an entry to the ”PSTfiles” SQL table. In a site with multiple Enterprise Vault servers, the lient contacts the server that has the Storage Service managing the Vault Store in which the ser’s Archive resides. This server, therefore, should have a PST Migrator Task configured and unning. 

But now we've users PST files marked in PSTFile table already via PST locator task and then we enabled user's mailbox for client driven migration. I do not see client driven attributes being updated against PST file in PSTFile table in SQL.

Should I remove those PST files from PSTFile table or how can I get client driven migration moving IF user was first planned for server driven and has marked PST via PST Locator task?

Thanks in Advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes, remove the files from the file list

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6

Yes, remove the files from the file list

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Michel - I tend to agree with you and want to do same, but trying to confirm if Outlook EV Add-in should see the files already in PSTFile table and skip to step 2 which is pusihng 10MB chunk of data on own?

MichelZ
Level 6

no, the file is marked as "Server" driven migration, and it will not migrate those by pushing 10 MB chunks (client-driven)

You can see the "migrator type" in the VAC -> Personal Store Management -> Files -> "Migrator" column

AKL
Level 6
Certified

I've observed that migrator column stays blank until PST collector has copied the file to holding area and migrator started processing them. (Will try to look same in SQL again)

But I'll go with the direction shown as I was thinking in same direction but just needed confirmation.

I will confirm tomorrow morning if I see those files being marked again in PST file as expected once user starts his/her Outlook.