cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST: Destination Archive Blank, Cannot Update In Bulk

MiloP
Level 2

Hi,

I am currently ingesting a few thousand PST files to EV, and have a weird issue where the PST files are being picked up by the PST Locator task, but the "Destination archive" field is left blank an the file is "Not Ready".

Things I have tested so far:

1. If I open properties for the file, then update a single file and change the "Destination archive" manually, it sets to "Ready to copy" and works.
  2. If I select a single file and click "Change mailbox and archive", it changes the "Destination archive" but is set to "Not Ready" again and cannot be set to "ready to copy".
  3. If I select multiple files and click "Change mailbox and archive", it changes the "Destination archive" but is set to "Not Ready" again and cannot be set to "ready to copy".
  4. If I set the "Assign to archive" property in "Personal Store Management" properties, it does not assign the specified destination archive.

I have over 1,000 PST files in this state that I do not want to update manually one-by-one. Is there anything I can do to change these in bulk?

6 REPLIES 6

MiloP
Level 2

Just an update - for 3 of the 4 destination archives we have configured, everything works perfectly. Just this one, and I can't find a way to get PST files ready to import without touching them all one by one. 

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Milo,

Not sure I can be of assistance, but which EV version?

It might this happens because EV cannot determine who 'owns' the PST file, and thus, where it needs to go. See this  link for a description.

If on EV12, there is an EV Powershell command, where you can import a CSV file, and in it, you can define the PST file, and which archive it needs to go to. Although also manual work (to make CSV), after you can quickly update EV on that.

Regards. Gertjan

Prone2Typos

IME enterprise wide migrations using the native capibilities are extremely labor intensive and noramlly require experts to get through all the issues. This is not entirely due to the design of the implementation IMO, but the problem itself is a very challenging one to solve from within an enterprise. If you are seeking enterprise wide elimination, you may want to check out a third party solution like PST Flight Deck. In the spirit of full discolosure, this is made by my company and I am not the product owner of it. I honestly believe it is miles above other similiar soluutions and native capibilities. We have frequently had cusotmers opt to go native, and after a year completes and they were expected to conclude, they have barely scratched the surface of the issue and are back looking at it. Just using your example, at last check we had 8 conditions we look at to help to determine ownership of a single PST file and use a weightable matrix to adjust this throughout the project. If ambigious, we have a quick means to address these outliers in bulk. If you want to know more, please let us know and I will get you in touch with the right people.

Thanks GertjanA, a CSV file might be the easier way, although there are many PSTs importing at the moment and I will need to wait for those to finish first.

Any idea why right-click and "Change mailbox and archive..." doesn't seem to work? It does the exact same thing in updating the destination archive, but doesn't seem to allow the file to be set to "Ready to Copy" afterwards. Very strange.

Prone2Typos - sorry, nice upsell but not interested. 

GertjanA

Hello Milo,

I am not aware on the reason why this happens, sorry. You might need to involve Veritas support for this. 

As for the upsell, when importing many PST's a 3rd party solution is considered to be the best option. Those applications tend to do better mapping of PST's to destination archives, and also are able to scan your network (including users laptops/desktops) to get the PST's scattered around. PST Flightdeck is one of the better solutions I am aware of.

Regards. Gertjan

Prone2Typos

No worries. I am in product and not in sales and get nothing from trying to sell it to you. It is not even my product. I was just trying to help with what we have seen in working with people doing PST migrations over years. Hopefully you can update us on your completed success in the near future. good luck!