cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Locator/Collector

Scott__Hastings
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm going to run the PST Locator and Collector/Migrator using EV903.

I know the first time you run the locator, it discovers all machines in the domain. The second time it discovers PSTs.

Is there anyway that you can limit the first run to a specfic server so that I can measure what utilization/load ot might put on that server?

Thanks!!

Scott D Hastings Sr
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct, the first run finds the computers.  You then tell it what computer to search but enabling it on that computers property page.

After you are satisfied with the performance you can then run a SQL script to enable all the computers or just continue to enable them manually.

TS

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

You can set it to not search computers by default.  Then you just find the computer you want to search and enable it.

I believe it is on the properties of the locator task to choose that default action.

With the default settings, the task does not automatically search any computers for PST files; you need to select the computers to search. If you select the setting By default search for PSTs on each computer, the task automatically starts searching every computer it finds. As this process can take a very long time on a large network, use this setting with caution.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

noteworthy - EV 10 SP4 and EV 11 both introduce great enhancements to this process which i think would be valuable to you. might want to consider upgrading to help you before you take on your PST migration.

Scott__Hastings
Level 5

As usual, thanks Tony:

I won't get to go to V10 or 11 before I do this.

To make sure we're on the same page, the first run doesn't find PST files by default so I suppose I'm just asking if I could populate the Computers Section with one server and decide with server I want to discover.

My customer is just being extra cautious and I'm trying to accommodate.

Scott D Hastings Sr

TonySterling

Correct, the first run finds the computers.  You then tell it what computer to search but enabling it on that computers property page.

After you are satisfied with the performance you can then run a SQL script to enable all the computers or just continue to enable them manually.

TS

Scott__Hastings
Level 5

But the original host discovery is an "all domain" proposition", correct? I'm guessing it just hits a DC or DCs.

Scott D Hastings Sr