Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Locator - Limit scope of searched computers and shares

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
Hello all,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before. However, I cannot find the answer when doing a search of the forum. So please forgive me for asking something that maybe has been answered here before.

Is there a way to configure the PST locator task so that only one specific share on a one particular server is searched for PST files? The PST files of all users will be placed on a single share, so it is pointless to search other computers in the domain for PST files. That would create delays and would be a waste of time and resources, as the files will be on one single spot only.

I have read forum posts in which people suggest to limit the permissions of the account that will be used to run the task. But that seems a bit awkward, because it will still try to search the network. Or is the solution in this case to perform a scripted migration?

Thank you in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Is it not reasonable to run the locator task to search a specific domain for machines, once it has created a list of machines found you can then delete the machines that you are not interested in or untick the machines you do not wish the collector task to then search.

The collector will only search the machines that are enabled to do so.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Is it not reasonable to run the locator task to search a specific domain for machines, once it has created a list of machines found you can then delete the machines that you are not interested in or untick the machines you do not wish the collector task to then search.

The collector will only search the machines that are enabled to do so.

HTH

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner
Not quite what you are looking for but you can make the PST Locator task avoid specific shares

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294839.htm

-Joe

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
Hello Paul,

Sorry for asking a potential obvious question, but where can I 'untick' the machines I do not wish the collector task to search?

When I look at the properties of the PST Locator task, I only noticed the tab Domains, which alows me to select a specific (Active Directory) domains. I do not see anything regarding individual computers. Could you please point me to the location where I can select the computers?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Richard

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
All,

I figured out how to select the computers that are being searched. It seems that in the EV console, under Personal Store Management -> Computers, all found computers are listed and can be configured to be searched by the PST locator task. Looking back on it, it was obvious. However, I did not read about this in the documentation and the training we had only covered client-driven migrations.

Thanks everybody for your help.