cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Locator

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Can you tell me from your experience how long you let the PST Locator task run before you satisfied with the results? I know the answer will start with, "It depends..." however, ours has been running for weeks and weeks and still discovers more and more files every time I check the list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type of question to be honest ... but I would suggest setting it to a LONG value, until you've done the migrations of all the current data.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Do you have NetApp filers in the mix?  If not, then you can speed things up on the locating of devices by disabling the checking for filers..  I believe that's in the Admin Guide how to do that (if you can't find it let me know).

If it's just scanning for PSTs then this can take a long time depending on :

a) How many devices you're scanning

b) How far away (milliseconds round trip time) they are from the EV server

c) How big the file structure is on the device you're scanning (number of drives, number of folders etc)

You can, of course, check what's happening by doing a DTrace of the PSTLocator task.  It's actually almost :) interesting to see it happening.

AndrewB

we indeed have one filer that's being scanned for PSTs. i manually ticked the box on the computer object for the filer to tell EV that it's a NetApp.

can you speak to the different settings for the locator task such as the frequencies, registry and hard drive scan, etc?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Andrew,

Okay that's okay then ... it sounds like you've done the discovery of devices, right?

The "issue" is it's discovering more and more PSTs ON those devices over time?

With regard to the frequencies...  they're all set on the task, what do you currently have set?

AndrewB

in event of failure retry evey 2 days / max retries 7

number of reports to keep 7

startup automatic

registry interval 2 days

hard disk interval 2 days

find domains and computers using AD

by default search for PSTs on each computer is checked

searching one domain

schedule runs 24h a day

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Then every 2 days the locator task is going to try to run through EVERY discovered computer and try to find more PSTs (using both the registry scan - for PSTs attached to profiles, and file system scan)

AndrewB

what are the optimal or recommended settings from your experience?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type of question to be honest ... but I would suggest setting it to a LONG value, until you've done the migrations of all the current data.

AndrewB

ok i upped the interval to 30 days and restarted the task.