cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migration Wizard (Import PST file from the console)

xcraft
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

I have a question to ask about the PST migration.

For some reason, I would like to use Import PST function to import my PST files. However, there have a limitation for it. We would like to keep the shortcuts within 1 years only when importing the PST files. For the Server driven, you can find it from the policy to say:
untitled.JPG

But I can not find this option from the Import PST Wizard, how can I enable this option for it? Registry hack or something?

Please advise.

Xcraft
2 REPLIES 2

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Do you mean you right click on the archives node in the VAC and choose Import PST?.. If so there is no option in the wizard to restrict shortcut creation by age, unfortunately.

Hope that helps,

Working for cloudficient.com

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee
Hi xcraft,

Rob's right, there's no option to do that in the wizard. However, what I've done at several client sites to work around this is to recommend to the client that ALL shortcuts expire after one year. This keeps your Exchange guys happy, as there aren't 10,000 2-4KB shortcuts in Exchange mailboxes, and your backup guys happy, as their catalogs aren't having nervous breakdowns!

What I generally do is set shortcut expiry to add up to one year in conjunction with the age based upper limit. So, for example, if I set all items to archive after 3 months, I set shortcut expiry to 9 months, so that there are shortcuts in the mailbox for (generally) one year. Of course, manually archived items and items that meet the large attachment threshold or quota threshold (if you're using quota based or age/quota) will be a little different.

My experience has been that most people don't try to access messages that are older than 2 months. If they realize that they need a message older than that, they generally end up using a search tool on it anyway, of which Archive Explorer is an excellent option!

Best of luck,

v/r,

Mark