Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migration and retention categories

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified

All:

I'm migrating some data from our production into Test environment. We have  a default policy of archiving anything older than 2 months and delete after 13 months. Though, we give users a "Archive" folder which they can drag items to and EV will retain items "forever".

I have setup test environment to mimic production (including retention categories).

When  I migrate the uesrs by exporting their archives to PST and importing into test, all of the data in the "archive" folder get the default retention category (13 months) rather than "Foreever".

I know this has been an issue in the past but did not know if it has been resolved in EV 8 SP4.

thanks for any input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

If you want the retention category to be listed in the CFG file then you need to select split PSTs by retention category

As a workaround for the already migrated items, in the Admin Console go to your mailbox policy > Moved items tab and select the checkbox for "Include items with Retention Category selected by the user, set by a custom filter or set by PST Migration" and the Archiving task will then fix the retention category for all of those items on the next run

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

are you importing with the CFG files that belong to those PST's?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified

Yes the CFG files are in the same diretory as the PST files.

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified

Thanks for pointing this out as I look at the .CFG file, there is no Retention Category mentioned in the CFG file. Also, when I try to import the PST I get the ICON (which EV Help indicates ->

"The PST file has been exported by Enterprise Vault. The associated configuration file does not have a Retention Category section, so the original Retention Category that was used for the items in the file is not known.

You must select a Retention Category to be used for the items that are imported."

Which is strange because I exported the entire "Archive" of the user.

The other thing I noticed now in the "Export" process has a "Split PSTs by retention category". Is this a must for the retention categories to be carried over to the PST files?

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

If you want the retention category to be listed in the CFG file then you need to select split PSTs by retention category

As a workaround for the already migrated items, in the Admin Console go to your mailbox policy > Moved items tab and select the checkbox for "Include items with Retention Category selected by the user, set by a custom filter or set by PST Migration" and the Archiving task will then fix the retention category for all of those items on the next run

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified

Nick - Ok that makes sense. thanks for the info.