cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migration not working i think

burtos
Level 5
I have had this running and working a few days ago, than had an issue with the migration of a few PST files, and sorted that out and it started working again, so i have manually started the PST migration task to run now and when looking at the log i have the following entry

05/08/2010 09:21:31 PST Migrator Task started  C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\Reports\PstMigTask_WCE-EV01_20100805092131.txt
Configuration Settings
----------------------
   05/08/2010 09:21:31 Number of retries after a networking error: 7
   05/08/2010 09:21:31 Delay time before a retry after a networking error: 1 Day
   05/08/2010 09:21:31 Location of the holding folder: \\servername\PSTMigration
   05/08/2010 09:21:31 Location of the temporary files folder: \\servername\D$\PST Migrator Temp File Folder
   05/08/2010 09:21:31 Number of concurrent migrations: 15
   05/08/2010 09:21:31 Archive attribute reset denotes a PST has been backed up: False

I have a few questions
Should i expect to see the bottom line in the log as normal when it says False,
I have PST files ready to be copyed , but none are changing to the migrating phase
When doing the client migration, does the user of that PST being migrated have to be logged in to outlook for that migration to begin and migrate successfully.  
Just looking into one of the PST properties, "it says that client driven migration has not been selected for this PST File" where is the option for this to be changed so that the PST is client driven

4 REPLIES 4

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee
>>Should i expect to see the bottom line in the log as normal when it says False,

This will be displayed if the PST file in the holding area hasn't been backed up. If you are using the PST Collector task there is an option which is "Wait for PSTs to be backed up before migrating them"

>>I have PST files ready to be copyed , but none are changing to the migrating phase

If you go to the properties of the PSTs in the Admin Console are there any error reports? The network issues reported in your log file may be stopping the copy process, or it could be that the Collector task is waiting for the files to be backed up

>>When doing the client migration, does the user of that PST being migrated have to be logged in to outlook for that migration to begin and migrate successfully.  

The PST file will be sent to the holding folder in chunks by our user extensions so Outlook has to be open. If Outlook is closed mid-copy then the process will restart from the last copied chunk rather than from the beginning

>>Just looking into one of the PST properties, "it says that client driven migration has not been selected for this PST File" where is the option for this to be changed so that the PST is client driven

If you have both client-driven and PST Locator driven migration then this could cause PSTs to be picked up by the Locator ahead of client-driven migration. To stop this from happening, set the user's desktop to not be scanned in the Personal Store Management > Computers container in the Admin Console

burtos
Level 5

This will be displayed if the PST file in the holding area hasn't been backed up. If you are using the PST Collector task there is an option which is "Wait for PSTs to be backed up before migrating them"

This is unticked in the PST collector task properties

If you go to the properties of the PSTs in the Admin Console are there any error reports? The network issues reported in your log file may be stopping the copy process, or it could be that the Collector task is waiting for the files to be backed up

No error reports, in the failure text box, there is a none message and when i go to the history tab, it just says "No migrations have been recorded for this PST"

If you have both client-driven and PST Locator driven migration then this could cause PSTs to be picked up by the Locator ahead of client-driven migration. To stop this from happening, set the user's desktop to not be scanned in the Personal Store Management > Computers container in the Admin Console

none of the Pc's or laptops have this tick box selected, there are only 2 servers which have this selected

Just as a side note, would deleting the *.db files that exist in the folders below , help in any way, or is just better to leave them there.

05/08/2010 09:21:31 Location of the holding folder: \\servername\PSTMigration
   05/08/2010 09:21:31 Location of the temporary files folder: \\servername\D$\PST Migrator Temp File Folder

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee
It really sounds as if the problem is the network errors that are being reported. Deleting the db files wouldn't help if this is the case and would simply force the client to push the files back to the server again. A Dtrace of the migrator task may help to work out why the network errors are occuring

burtos
Level 5
Well i did a reboot of the ev server and it seemed to of kicked everything in to working