cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST import duplicating items

Maria_Z_
Level 4
Hi, I hope you can help me out.

I am migrating one user mailbox from one exchange server to one in another organization, in order to do that I had to use the “Exchange server migration wizard” and export the mailbox to Pst. The mailbox is huge so Icouldn’t use Exmerge. The exchange servers are in completely separate organizations, that’s why we couldn’t just move the mailbox. Each exchange server has its own EV server.
The archive for this mailbox was migrated to pst.

I have followed this document: http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/articles/stn-managing_mailbox_moves_within_an_enterprise_vault.pdf  (the steps on page 11 )

The problem is that after importing the PST from the EV console, all the items that were archived are now duplicated in the mailbox (13 times) and the shortcut weren’t updated at all.

How can we migrate the exchange mailbox and the archive to the new servers?

Thanks for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
you could open each mailbox and delete all shortcut's by finding them with the advanced find.

Select Advanced find, Select message Class - set this to IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut

If you have some programing skills you can just write something to delete all those message classes.

--wayne

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
The shortcuts will not get updated.

Yo will need to delete the shortcuts somehow prior to the PST import, alternatively you could look at a product like Archive Shuttle that handles that pritty well.

--wayne

Maria_Z_
Level 4
Thanks for your replay but we are not looking at expending any more money right now...

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Well then you will need to write some vb to delete all the old shortcuts prior to importing the PST.  Is it a lot of users or not?

--wayne

Maria_Z_
Level 4

Thanks for your replay.

We are moving only 50 users...

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
you could open each mailbox and delete all shortcut's by finding them with the advanced find.

Select Advanced find, Select message Class - set this to IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut

If you have some programing skills you can just write something to delete all those message classes.

--wayne

Maria_Z_
Level 4
Hi Wayne, I am trying to do what you suggested here. thank you very much.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Maria Z,

Glad we could have been of assistance, please mark the thread as resolved if this has answered your question :)

beta_dodo
Level 4
Employee
Hi,

So why wouldn't EV fix up the exisitng shortcuts.  If you are using the .cfg file that is created when you do the export archive then when you import the pst on the other side and there is a .cfg in the same directory it would fix up the shortcuts.   Or am I missing something?

Maria_Z_
Level 4
I tried that and it didn't work...
Maybe I did something wrong... when are the shortcuts updated? How can you do this? is there any tech doc?

This is my current situation:
*Old exchange - mailboxes migrated to PSTs
*Old EV - archives migrated to PSts

*New Exchange (new AD) - the PSTs were migrated to the users' mailboxes
*New EV - import pst

The shortcuts weren't updated, instead there were new shortcuts created but they were duplicated 5 or 6 times.
When I opened the PSTs created but the EV server when exporting to PST I could see that each archived item was duplicated 6 times...so that's why I got new duplicated shortcuts...

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes really the shortcuts should have been fixed up. But we only enter the specific function in the code if the following is satisfied:-

- PST Importer config file exists in the same directory/path as the source PST file
- "Move shortcuts to mailbox option" specified by PST Wizard/Client.
- Target VaultStore/Vault DOESN'T match the original VaultStore/Vault as specified in the config file.

If any of those were not met then that is why we did not enter the code to repair and syncronize legacy mailbox shortcuts. If all of these were satisfied then without seeing a DTRACE of the migratorserver process it is impossible to ascertain why.