cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST import qns

RG009
Level 4

Hi All,

At present, we are doing PST import to user archvies. Due to the large number of remote sites and huge amount of PST files, we are using the PST  import method. But we are now facing the bottle neck on the EV server side , with importing the PST's.

We have 4 EV,but most of the archives are located or linked to only 2 EV servers. I have few questions as below, re: the importing which I would like to get some advise.

1. We know that it is possible to import PST's  from any of the EV server with storage service running. For ex. if user Archive is on Server A and if we do the import from Server B, will it still use Server A resources for the PST import? Or is it the storage service on the importing server which handle this task?
  2. Can we use EVPM script to run multiple instance of PST import at the same time?
  3. Is it a good idea to modify the conversation timeout value on these EV servers temporarily ?
  4. What are the other recommend practices which would allow us to import?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think there is the possibility of a bug in the woodwork here...

I first of all created a shared archive, and on the server with the archive (my all-new-second-EV server) I ingested a PST with 81 items in it, using EVPM on the server itself.

All was good.  On the properties of the archive I see 81 indexed items

I then ran a PST ingest from the first EV server, in to that same archive.

The items have gone in to the archive, but not correctly...

- I see them on disk on the first EV server.

- I see badness in the index:

Capture.PNG

28 missing items?  Guess what..  The PST import ingested 28 items!

Oh and index rebuild of course fails, because there are >25 consecutive failures.

Here is what I'd suggest...

- Test it yourself, nice and carefully, like I've just done.

- If it's the same then I'm sure that there is a bug amist this and we/you/I can raise it with SYMC.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

2.  Can we use EVPM script to run multiple instance of PST import at the same time?

Yes...  You can run EVPM and import 10 or more PSTs concurrently.  You can control the amount.

3.  Conversion timeout...

I wouldn't personally change it no.

So right now you're importing the PSTs via the Import PST wizard in the VAC?

RG009
Level 4

Hi Rob,

Yes, right now we are importing using PST import wizard(mainly from 2 servers). we run multiple instances of the import at the same time. I am trying to understand whether we can utilize other 2 servers so that we can import more data on a daily basis.

Also with the EVPM, is it possible to run the multiple instances (i.e import to multiple archives) at the same time ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You *can* run EVPM multiple times, or you can opt for an approach like this:

[Directory]
directorycomputername = ev1a.ev.local
sitename = myev

[PSTDefaults]
MailboxFolder =
PSTLanguage = Western European
MigrationMode = Process
IncludeDeletedItems = false
SetPstHidden = false
SetPstReadOnly = false
CompactPst = false
DeletePst = true
CancelMbxAutoArchive = true

[PST]
Filename = \\w2k3srv\C$\temp\test data file 2.pst
ArchiveName = PST2
ShortcutMode = NoShortcuts
RetentionCategory = Default Retention Category
MergePSTFolders = false

[PST]
Filename = \\w2k3srv\C$\temp\test data file 3.pst
ArchiveName = PST3
MergePSTFolders = false

[PST]
Filename = \\w2k3srv\C$\temp\test data file 4.pst
ArchiveName = PST4
MergePSTFolders = false

... and so on.

RG009
Level 4

Ok Thanks again Rob

How about the below question?

We know that it is possible to import PST's  from any of the EV server with storage service running. For ex. if user Archive is on Server A and if we do the import from Server B, will it still use Server A resources for the PST import? Or is it the storage service on the importing server which handle this task?

RG009
Level 4

Could some one confirm whether PST import can done only via the server which has the Vault store assigned ? We are wondering whether we could use the other EV servers (for ex. Journaling or MOSS archiving) to speed up the PST importing.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sorry I think you'd have to test this yourself.  You can of course run EVPM on *any* EV server... but I'm not sure which server will actually add the items to storage.

RG009
Level 4

Hi Rob,

Sure, What is the best way to test it? Run Dtrace?

Infact I am trying to understand how EV handle the PST import if we do it from another server (for ex a journal server) using PST import wizard?  Whether it should still go through the server where user archive resides?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Yes DTRACE is the way forward, or you could stop some services on the 'second' machine where the archive lives, and give that a try from the first machine?

Labs are good :)

I just gave it a try on my test system here which happens now to have two EV servers in it.  I ran the EVPM PST import on one machine, where the archive lives on the second machine.  The Migrator Server on the import machine appears to archive all the items.

BUT, I would test it yourself, because at the moment (and I don't know whether it's related or not) I don't see the items on disk in the right location.. I don't see them in location!  I also don't appear to have the items indexed.  [I'll be taking a look later, time permitting]

RG009
Level 4
Hi Rob Ok,we will try to test. Did you get a chance to verify the items archived?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Haven't tried yet, sorry.  I will try to do it tomorrow morning, when I've worked out whether the environment is working.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think there is the possibility of a bug in the woodwork here...

I first of all created a shared archive, and on the server with the archive (my all-new-second-EV server) I ingested a PST with 81 items in it, using EVPM on the server itself.

All was good.  On the properties of the archive I see 81 indexed items

I then ran a PST ingest from the first EV server, in to that same archive.

The items have gone in to the archive, but not correctly...

- I see them on disk on the first EV server.

- I see badness in the index:

Capture.PNG

28 missing items?  Guess what..  The PST import ingested 28 items!

Oh and index rebuild of course fails, because there are >25 consecutive failures.

Here is what I'd suggest...

- Test it yourself, nice and carefully, like I've just done.

- If it's the same then I'm sure that there is a bug amist this and we/you/I can raise it with SYMC.