Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST migration and VDI

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

We have a client which has about 95% of its end user computer on Thin Clients and VDI (Citrix) (1300 end users approximately). We have previously implemented EV 10.0.2 for them. This deployment went without issues. PST migration was outside the original scope of the work, as the client estimated there were only a few PST in use, I quote "20 to 30 privilegied users are allowed to use them", to which I instructed their IT team how to import them with the PST migrator wizard. 

Reallity is quite different and upon discovery by the clients IT team there's now just under 500 PSTs. Although not all are attached to users's profile, I'd say about 70% have modified date in the last week or so.. which means they are being actively used. The PST migrator is no loger the right tool and they have engaged us to assist them to migrate their PST.

This is the first time I'm to migrate PST on a VDI environment, so I need your brains to determine the right migration strategy. At this stage I believe either client driven or locate and migrate could do the work, but I'm unsure as to whether any of these is suitable on a VDI environment. We did a quick test with Client driven migration and we run into the following:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support//index?page=content&id=TECH77926

however, as the users ONLY log on a VDI (that is, a citrix session) the workaround is not applicable. it also worked for two users with small files. I see that file size also comes to play as a small file might migrate during a single session, a large file won't, hence running into the above issues.

On the other hand, a PST locator task would locate the files if searching the hard drives of the servers holding the PST.

Some of the facts on the environment

• With the exception of about 30 users that have a private VDI, users get a different VDI each time (albeit they still login into the same thin client)
  • On the VDI, users registry settings are wiped out on logoff. The HKLU travels with the user.
  • Most PST are located on network drives.
  • PST are marked
  • Average PST file is 1.2 GB

Any suggestions on the best approach?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If the pst's are marked, just do server side migration, no? There are also quite a few improvements coming in EV 10 SP4 that will be worth checking out You could also try scripting and automating via EVPM as well
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
If the pst's are marked, just do server side migration, no? There are also quite a few improvements coming in EV 10 SP4 that will be worth checking out You could also try scripting and automating via EVPM as well

JesusWept3
Level 6
Oh and there's also the usual PSTFlightDeck from Quadrotech (contact Wayne Humohrey on the forum) as well as Transvault migration utilities (contact Andy Becker on the forum) or PST Shuttle from Vault Solutions etc They're all paid for but overkill IMO for 500 or so PST files however they do have good PST discovery tools

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

For 500 PSTs as you've described, I'd also suggest server driven locate, collect, migrate.  3rd party products would be overkill in this situation.

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i'm curious to know what apprach you decide to go with and how it works out. please keep us posted!

PeterWendell
Level 4

For what it's worth I had to accomplish something similar in our environment which is primarily Citrix VDI. For the users with shared desktop images, the PST files must be located on persistent storage that they can access no matter which particular VM they get when they login, i.e. on a network share. Since the PST files are marked, it seems to me that all you really need to do is write a simple script, I used PowerShell, to gather the PST files into a central location and then use EVPM to import them.