cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST migration stuck on ststus "Migrating"

Gordy_P
Level 3
We are seeing a number of files hit the "Migrating" status then not progress.

Messages are imported to the vault, but not to the users mailbox

All of these files have been interrupted at some point and then continued

We are unable to delete the job from the queue until the current operation is complete.

This leaves us with our holding area filling up (we have 6 EV servers being used 24/7 for the duration of the project) and a number of users without access to their Pst’s without manual intervention from the helpdesk.

We are using EV version 7.0

Is there a way of "releasing these files" allowing us the choice of manually importing them or restarting the auto ingestion?

Regards
Gordy

9 REPLIES 9

DRHarrison
Level 3
Partner

I'm having the same or similar issue. There were several PSTs that started migrating, and are now stuck in the "Migrating" status. We would like to cancel the migration process for those PSTs.

So I'm interested in an answer as well. 

Thanks!

Message Edited by DRHarrison on 09-16-2008 12:58 PM

Gonz
Level 5
Employee

Do you have event id 8567 in the Enterprise Vault event viewer?.

Is this a client driven pst migration?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

MPR
Level 4
Gonzalo, I'm not the OP but this is the exact problem I'm having right now.  Yes, I'm getting the 8567 and yes, it is a client-driven migration.  Is there a resolution you know of?

Gonz
Level 5
Employee

There is a procedure that involves stopping the PstMigratorTask.

Once stopped you have to delete the entries for the "migrating" pst  files in two tables of the Enterprise Vault Directory and delete the corresponding files from the pst holding folder and pst temp holding folder defined in the pst migrator task.

It is something you have to work with Symantec tech support.

Amit_Gupta
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

For Client Driven Migration, the PST will stay in migrating state till the time whole PST is migrated. PST does not get migrated if Outlook is closed on the user machine. Client Migration happens in chunks so it may take few hours sometime days to migrate the whole PST depending upon for how long Outlook stays open and for how long the machine stays on the Network.

If it is a Client Driven Migration, try stopping and restarting PST Migrator Task. If it does not work, delete the PST entry from the Admin Console and run the PST Locator and Collector task again.

Hope this helps!!! 

Message Edited by Amit Gupta on 09-29-2008 05:10 AM

Gordy_P
Level 3

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to this thread.

The files stuck in the migrating state exibit the same behaviour as those you attribute to a client driven migration. Except they are server driven.

The results display that all of the messages have been ingested, and the user has full access to all messages. The tempory copy files are deleted from both the holding area on the local server and the vault migration server. The source file on the users home directory are not deleted and are still set to read only.

Stoping the migration task has no affect, we still recieve the "This PST file entry cannot be deleted until the current operation is complete"

Gordy_P
Level 3

An interesting point is that I can copy the original file from source that has not been deleted, rename it to the same as the holding file.  Move a copy of that into both the holding area and the migrating area on the local server. Restart the migrator task and then watch the two copys get deleted by the system.

The task still does not delete the pst file from source and the job is still flagged as "completing" 

Currently we have around 200 jobs stuck in the "completing" state, while this is only a small % of the total jobs, the numbers are growing, as is the amount of unwanted data stuck in read only format.

Ross_Verrall
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I had a similar problem whereby the PST migration was interrupted.  The status of the file was stuck on migrating and you could delete or change the status.  I have found a fix for this -

1. Stop the PST Migrator Task. 

2. Delete the PST files from both the PSTTemp folder and PSTHolding folders

3. Start the PST Migrator Task and "Run Now".

The PST status will change to Migration Failed, and you can then edit this to "Ready to Copy" and it should migrate successfully this time assuming no further interruptions!!

Ross

Sergio_Dias
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

I would suggest to open a Support Case, since a mistake in PST Migration could create duplicate entries and it's not good.

Support will have the right direction to this issue (probably a workaround).

Regards,