cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password synchronisation issue

yarg
Level 4
Hi all,

We are running EV7.5 SP3 linked to Exchange 2003. We operate a policy of forcing users to change their network password each month.  Recently, one user has been unable to access her archive after changing her network password.  Each time she tries to access an archived mail after changing her password, she gets a continual prompt for her credentials.  This started in March, so it has happened twice so far; up until now the onsite support team resolved it by clearing the temp IE files, deleting cookies and remembered passwords etc. Unfortunately that doesn't work now. We have also tried running resetevclient.exe, with the user logged in with admin rights, but still it does not work.

Any suggestions gratefully received, and if my explanation is missing any necessary info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Graeme
9 REPLIES 9

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Is the users new password more than 14 characters?

It is a known issue that IIS fails to recognize any password with more than 14 characters.

Judy Glazier

yarg
Level 4
Hi there,

I've just queried this with the user.  She has no access to her vault at the moment, and her password is only 8 characters long.

Thanks in advance,
Graeme

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Hello Graeme

One quick check, make sure that in the users IE, Tools, Internet Options, Security, Local Intranet, Sites, Advanced you see the proper Vault Alias listed.

This setting is what allows the end user to access their vaulted items via the shortcut in Outlook, without having to log in each session.

If the vault server alias is there, then the issue is something else.

You can try a couple of things, first removing the end users Hidden Message.  The instructions in the following article will walk you through these steps.  http://support.veritas.com/docs/287572

Once you have removed the hidden message, close Outlook and syncronize the users mailbox using the Syncronization Tab in the advanced page of the Archiving Task in the Vault Admin Console.

Have her open Outlook and test accessing archived items.

If this step didn't work, the second one that has worked for me was to create a new local profile.  There may well be something wrong in her local profile.  Rename current profile to old and test a new profile if that doesn't fix it either, rename her old profile back so that she will still have all her old settings.

Judy

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Graeme

Just thought of something, if the user can log onto another workstation and access her archived items without being prompted for a password than the issue is workstaton related and it is not the hidden message.  So it is most likely her local profile that is the issue.

Try that being re-creating the hidden message.

Judy

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Graeme

Has the user tried to logon with the "old" password?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
A possible scenario is if the users cached password is being used:-

1) On the users desktop, navigate to the Control Panel -> User Accounts

2) Select the Advanced Tab -> click the "Manage Passwords" button

3) From the list of sites in the following dialog, verify that the Enterprise Vault server is not listed, if it is listed, remove the user.

4) Close and re-open Outlook and attempt to download the item again

yarg
Level 4
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your various suggestions.  I have some feedback:

1) The EV server alias in the IE Local Intranet settings is correct.
2) There are no passwords being managed in the Control Panel -> User accounts section.
3) The user has not attempted to log on to another workstation or tried her old password --> I have asked her to do so and report back
4) I have enabled the "Delete Hidden Message" button, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to delete....ALL hidden messages?  What will the effect of doing so be?
5)  Judy, when you refer to a possible profile issue, you are meaning the local Windows profile and NOT the mail profile, is that correct?

Thanks again,
Graeme

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Graeme

The number of hidden messages to delete will depend on which folder was highlighted when you went to Help. About Enterprise Vault etc and navigated down to the Hidden Messages in Folder section.

Yes you can delete all th hidden messages.  When you close Outlook and syncronize their mailbox they will get all the hidden messages re-created.

Yes I meant the local windows profile.  That will be a last resort, but may be the issue.

Judy

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I think at this point what you could do is install fiddler onto the client and see where the prompt is coming from. Fiddler is a free tool downloadable and is a http proxy. You need a bit of experience to read what it is telling you. One thing that has not been asked and answers is when the user inputs his/her credentials are they accepted or is the user still continuously asked for credentials