Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placeholder shortcut question.

EVuser17
Level 3
Employee

Hey there,

We are using placeholder shortcut method to access and archive information, however, disk space in NAS Storage is not freeing up after the archival task is done, is this a normal behavior? Is EV not supposed to save disk space after archiving data and creating the PH shortcuts?

I can see in the file properties that the size on disk is only 4KB and the SIZE remains the same(Original file size).
Using Internet Shortcuts does save disk space and leaves the .url file instead.

I have configured the Vault Stores to "Remove Original items" and "remove immediatly after archiving the original items" options. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the issue I'm getting here.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi EVuser17,

What type of storage are you using?  Typically, the size on disk will reduced if the Size on disk shows 4k unless the storage device is looking at Size.  What are the attributes on the item?  It should be APO or PO showing that the file is Sparse and Offline.  

If NetApp then the SetNetappPHOriginalSize can be set on the EV server under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\NetAPPPlaceholderService

DWORD

0 - Show the size of NetApp placeholders as 0 KB.

1 - Show the size of NetApp placeholders as the original file size (the default behavior if the registry value does not exist).

Thanks,

Patrick

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi EVuser17,

What type of storage are you using?  Typically, the size on disk will reduced if the Size on disk shows 4k unless the storage device is looking at Size.  What are the attributes on the item?  It should be APO or PO showing that the file is Sparse and Offline.  

If NetApp then the SetNetappPHOriginalSize can be set on the EV server under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\NetAPPPlaceholderService

DWORD

0 - Show the size of NetApp placeholders as 0 KB.

1 - Show the size of NetApp placeholders as the original file size (the default behavior if the registry value does not exist).

Thanks,

Patrick

I'm using an EMC ECS storage. The files attributes show as APO.

Netapp is my FileServer target.

Hi,

Since the FS is NetApp you can use the suggested registry key to see if that resolves the issue. You would have to recreate the PH files to get them to change. You can run an archiving run to ensure the latest version of the file is in the archive then run the following to update the placeholders. Run from an admin CMD prompt on the EV server as the Vault Service Account. 

FSAUtility -c -s \\server\share\folder -f 

The -f will force the overwrite of the file with a placeholder if it exists.  This is why archiving should be run before the force overwrite as it could cause partial data loss if the item in the archive has not been updated with the newer version.  

Regards,

Patrick 

Thank you Patrick, I will test and let you know how it goes.

!