cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible timeout Issue when searching All Vaults for specific email

Mick_Faber
Level 4

HI all,

Apologies if this has been resolved before - i did search, but couldn't find anything specific to the problem I am having.

We are using Ev2007 SP2

I have set up a user to have READ access to all vaults and can confirm that when I search, I have the option of choosing any vault, so the permissions are not an issue. I can also confirm that I ama ble to search any archive that I choose successfully.

However when i conduct a search for all archives (for an email sent to a specific address) from the http://servername/enterprisevault/search.asp page, it appears to try and condcut the serach for about 20 minutes, and then returns with a 

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try the following:

Open the <servername> home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer 

I thought it might be a timeout issue on the web.config file, but it is currently set to 

<httpRuntime executionTimeout="90" maxRequestLength="10000" useFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl="false" minFreeThreads="8" minLocalRequestFreeThreads="4" appRequestQueueLimit="100" enableVersionHeader="true" />

...so I don't think that's related - after all, it shouldn't "try" for 20 minutes, if the timeout is set to 90 seconds as shown above.

Has anyone else had this issue when trying to search ALL archives for particular email/s.  If so, how did they get around it?  Any other thoughts/suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Mick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Mick, don't think you are going to be able to do it - 8,000 archives - the search could last for hours, if not days - and IIS is not going to wait that long.
Even with DA, a search across that many archives will last a long time.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I dont have a server in front of me but I think that 20 minute limit is set in IIS.

To set a connection time-out value for a specific Web or FTP site

1. In IIS Manager, expand the local computer, expand the Web Sites or FTP Sites folder, right-click a Web or FTP site, and click Properties.

2. On the Web Site or FTP Site tab, in the Connection timeout box, type the maximum number of seconds that IIS should maintain an idle connection before resetting the connection.

3. For the WWW service, verify that the Enable HTTP Keep-Alives box is selected. For more information, see Enabling HTTP Keep-Alives.

4. Click Apply, and then click OK.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Also, how many archives are you searching? 
I would recommend breaking your search up in chuncks, the web search isn't geared toward discovery type searches.

I am sure you already know, but it sounds like you really need Discovery Accelerator.  :)

Mick_Faber
Level 4
Thanks for the quick response Tony,

Apologies for the typos in the original posting btw.

The Connection Timeout on teh default website is set to 120. I'll try increasing it, but that doesn't match the 20 minutes I experienced. Worth a shot though. Enable Keep-Alives is also ticked.

I am trying to search about 8,000 archives. You're right DA  is probably the way to go.    DA is licenced separately to EV for Exchange isn't it ?

I am searching via the GUI. Call me stupid - but I can't seem to search "groups" - I seem to only be able to search one archive or all of them...   Am I doing something wrong?

Mick

Mick_Faber
Level 4
Found out how to search groups at a time.

FYI -
  • From the search.asp screen
  • Select <Choose Vaults> from the drop down menu and then hit Enter. You'll be moved to a second screen where you can select the vaults to search individually. 
Good to know.  Would be good to be able to search all of them ... open to any other ideas.  Am also trying the increased timeout setting. Will let you know.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Mick, don't think you are going to be able to do it - 8,000 archives - the search could last for hours, if not days - and IIS is not going to wait that long.
Even with DA, a search across that many archives will last a long time.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Did you find a solution for this?
Do you need anymore help?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.