Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preemptive archive showing as disabled in outlook hidden message

Chammy
Level 2
Partner
Hi all,

Question around outlook hidden message displaying preemptive archive option disabled, despite being enabled with a 7 day entity in the advanced vault cache policy.

I have a client whom is trying to utilize preemptive archive for some remote users to populate their offline cache without going across the network.  I have created a separate provisioning group for these users with archiving disabled as well as a desktop policy that is hiding all ev functionality buttons so that users cannot manually archive their data.  This is with the thought that preemptive archiving would completely build the offline cache file whenever the user would log into the network. Then they will look for a fully populated EV Offline file and move them out of the given provisioning group. Unfortunately the offline cache file is being created in the proper location, yet its completing the sync without actually downloading any data.  Anyone have insight on this?  Am I missing a potential policy setting or anything else?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chammy
Level 2
Partner
Thank you for your help here, I think I see where it went wrong as our logic behind disabling the provisioning group from archiving was just so that we were comfortable that the archiving task would never fully archive the users mailboxes as these users are remote and it would saturate their network if these users downloaded their offline cache from their archive itsself.  Instead of disabling archiving to the provisioning group, upping the default day count from 7 to something greater would be the fix we are looking for. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Few questions:

It sounds like nothing has been archived, it that correct?
What is the Archive policy? (aged based or quota, etc..)

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner
Chammy,

For pre-emptive archiving I assume you are referring to the: copying the full message from the local Outlook OST file to the local VC\OV.  First this to occur make sure this things are in place:

1. User has been enabled
2. The applied policy (via PG) has OV\VC enabled and includes pre-emptive days (default) and is applicable (per Tony's age/quota question).
3. mailbox has synced hidden message
4. restart Outlook and verify EV settings in the ev_client_log or tech info

results:

After a few minutes the EV client extensions will start trawling the OST looking for messages.  This can take some time.  I had a client with a slow machine and a 400MB OST have this process take almost an hour.  During this process not much appears to be happening except higher than normal CPU on the Outlook process.

note: if you enabled minimum tracing logging you will see many entries during this process.

After this process is done the VC\OV will start to build in the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\kvs\<guid> directory and you will start seeing the *.db files.

-Joe

Hans_Peeters
Level 4
Hi Chammy,

You wrote:  I have created a separate provisioning group for these users with archiving disabled

If you disable archiving, why do you need preemptive caching?
Just use outlook in cached mode.
You do not archive, so you will not have shortcuts, so you cannot benefit of preemptive caching.

All your mails are in the Offline store of outlook, the *.OST file.
All mails will open locally.

Chammy
Level 2
Partner
Thank you for your help here, I think I see where it went wrong as our logic behind disabling the provisioning group from archiving was just so that we were comfortable that the archiving task would never fully archive the users mailboxes as these users are remote and it would saturate their network if these users downloaded their offline cache from their archive itsself.  Instead of disabling archiving to the provisioning group, upping the default day count from 7 to something greater would be the fix we are looking for.