cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing FSA for File System restructure

Junior_B
Level 4
Hi All,

We are currently using FSA  (EV 7.3) on a Windows 2003 file server. We have 5 archive points which we have created on department folders which is 2 levels down from the root.

Due to an upcoming restructure of the file syetem, we would like to create a single archive point 1 level up, which will be the same level as where the volume has been created, with the hope of being able to keep all items archived, but remove the old archive points and somehow merge them into the single archive point 1 level up.

Has anyone done anything like this? I believe there is a merge utility available from Symantec, would it work for this scenario?

I hope I have explained it clearly. Please ask if you would like some further clarification.
4 REPLIES 4

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
If I understand what you are doing, you are simply changing the location of the archive points, is that correct?

If this is the case, you just need to remove the existing archive points and recreate a single archive point at the volume. Make sure to archive the parent and and child folders when you create it.

If I'm misunderstanding you, please let me know.

Junior_B
Level 4
Thanks sleddog, that's exactly what i'm doing, once everything is archived under the 1 archive Point, then I should be able to move around the placeholders without any issue once we do the restructure of the file system.

The thing I am trying to workout is when users do a search, I only want to have the1 archive available. I believe if I do as you suggested then my original AP's will still be in the seach dropdown list as well as the new AP, then users will need to know which archive to search in.

Once I have the 1 archive point, is there a way to merge all of the archives into the new archive?

Cheers.

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
To my knowledge, to have everything in one archive; restore the existing data, then re-archiving it to the single archive point is the way to accomplish this. There are probably other ways that someone else may be able to share.

If you are using the browser-based search, there's an option to search all archives. This would save you the trouble of restoring and re-archivng.

Junior_B
Level 4
I was thinking a ful recall would be the way. Unfortunatley I have archived 600GB and only have 400GB available on the LUN, so a full restore is tricky.

The other issue is we archive to an EMC Centera running in GE mode so I assume I need to make sure I can delete on recall, which means setting up Privilaged Delete rights correctly.

However, we may be able to stage this by recalling 1 AP at a time, ensure that the Centera pool has reduced in size to indicate our deletes are working, then remove the AP and the Archive, then re-archiving them under the new higer level AP.

It would be easier if I could just merge the Archives Smiley Wink I'll have to get Symantec Support to tell me more about this merge utility they have.