cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem archiving from Exchange 2013

stullier
Level 4

We recently setup some new Exchange 2013 SP1 servers in our environment.  We are using EV 10.0.4.

We are not having any issues archiving from our existing Exchange 2007 SP3 servers, but we cannot start the archive tasks against our Exchange 2013 servers.

When we try, we see event ID's 3460 and 2256:

3460: The Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for <server>' failed to log on to Exchange server '<server>' using mailbox 'SMTP:<system mailbox address>'.  Check that the mailbox has not been hidden, that the server is running and that the vault service account has sufficient permissions on the server.

Enterprise Vault used the following settings for the Outlook Anywhere connection to Exchange 2013:

Proxy server:'<autodiscover address>'

Requires SSL: 'True'

Certificate principal: 'msstd:<autodiscover address>'

2256: The Archiving Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for <server>' could not be started due to startup errors.

I have verified autodiscover is working by setting up a new outlook profile for the system mailbox on the EV server and successfully accessing it.

I have also verified that the Vault Service Account can access the mailbox and send mail from it

I have attached a section of the dtrace log to this post

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

stullier
Level 4

We solved it!

One of our consultants suggested removing the Exchange Server from the Targets list and adding it back, using the FQDN instead of just the host name.

Now the archive task starts successfully without error.

I'm not sure why it did not work by only specifying the host name.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Stullier,

Has the archiving worked from exch 2013 before? Looking @ dtrace, Archiving task unable to open message store.

9915    13:15:43.784     [11684]    (ArchiveTask)    <24024>    EV:L    {HrMAPIOpenMsgStoreKvs:#50} Opened msg store [0x8004011d]
9916    13:15:43.784     [11684]    (ArchiveTask)    <24024>    EV:H    {CMailboxHelper::OpenMailbox:#302} Could not open message store: [0x8004011d]
9917    13:15:43.799     [11684]    (ArchiveTask)    <24024>    EV:H    {CMAPISession::CreateMapiSession} (Exit) Status: [<0x8004011d>]
9918    13:15:43.799     [11684]    (ArchiveTask)    <24024>    EV:L    {CMAPISession::ClearProfileCache} (Entry)

Did you apply Permission & Throlling script? Please check following artical to know if any steps in missing.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/archiving-exchange-server-2013-enterprise-vault-10

Regards

Pradeep

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you running the latested CU update on Exchange 2013 ?
These are not (yet) supported by EV !

stullier
Level 4

Thank you for the responses.  We have not been able to archive from Exchange 2013 servers.  We did apply the Permission and Thottling script to the Exchange Server using the Vault Service Account ID.

Also, we are not on the latest CU - we are on SP1 only.

stullier
Level 4

I have tried re-running the permissions and throttling scripts, but both showed that no changes were made b/c the permissions were already in place.

I have also tried entering the SCP details for Exchange 2013 on the Domain Properties in EV, but that did not resolve the issue.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As the error message apear in dtrace, Archiving task is unable to open message store. Can you try to open system mailbox profile using outlook installed on EV server? I hope you are using Outlook 2007 SP3 + KB2596598 on EV server.

stullier
Level 4

Hi Pradeep.  Yes, we can open the system mailbox profile using Outlook on the EV server.  We have 2007 SP3 with the KB installed.  Deployment Scanner shows everything passing the system checks.

I have seen some posts about using a load balancer in front of the servers, which we do have.  But, the odd thing is that we have no problems setting up or accessing the system mailbox profile from the EV server.

stullier
Level 4

Update - we have tried running the task without the load balancer address and the problem still exists.

Gill2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi guys...

Experiencing same problem with Exchange 2013.

Cheers!

stullier
Level 4

Gill2 - have you opened a case with Tech Support?  We have, but have not been able to isolate the problem.

Every permissions check we try is validated

Every connectivity test we try is validated

But the problem persists.

We have verified that the vault service account can open the system mailbox from:

1) Using Outlook on the EV server

2) Using MFCMAPI on the EV server

3) Using the Exchange Web Services connectivity test from Microsoft's Remote Connectivity Analyzer.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

right now it's a sledgehammer solution because it doesn't seem like you've narrowed the issue down to anything in particular but if all else fails, you could consider upgrading to EV11 SP1 which allows you to use Outlook 2013 SP1 on the EV server.

Gill2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks guys,

I solved it.

For me it was a permission issue. VSA was member of Domain admins and Exchange Organization Admins. Even though my customer was absolutely sure otherwise.

Once I removed these two and made sure that VSA is only domain user.

Restarted the tasks and they stayed running... 

G.

stullier
Level 4

Unfortunately, that was the first thing I verified.  The VSA is not a member of anything other than Domain Users

stullier
Level 4

We solved it!

One of our consultants suggested removing the Exchange Server from the Targets list and adding it back, using the FQDN instead of just the host name.

Now the archive task starts successfully without error.

I'm not sure why it did not work by only specifying the host name.

stullier
Level 4

Bump

stullier
Level 4

I tried posting the solution, but it keeps saying queued for moderation.

Email me if you would like the answer - shawn.tullier@laitram.com

ohzone_-_Cheryl
Level 5

Sorry about that "moderation" message - you won't run into it again Shawn.

Cheryl

stullier
Level 4

Tech Support has confirmed that using the FQDN of the Exchange Server when using the setup wizard is a requirement.  I've asked them to update their documentation so as to avoid any confusion in the future.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

for what it's worth, it works fine in my lab with just the hostname, not the FQDN so there might be other factors involved in your environment. glad you got it sorted out though.