Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Space held by existing pending items

Nick007
Level 3
Partner

Hi

I am still new with Symantec Enterprise Vault and I need some help. I am doing archiving on just 3 mail accounts with this archiving policy:
Archive items when they are older then: 2 Months
Archive items until mailbox available storage reaches: 30 %

Now when I run report I get information that one of mail accounts have 101525 (I guess this value is in kB and that this is about 100 MB) Space held by existing pending items.
What is Space held by existing pending items?
For archiving I use Centera and one of option is set:
Remove safety copies: Never

What is safety copies means?
I have just one Centera so I cannot replicate that Centera.
Also on another two mail accounts I have some values.

Also on report I have values Total size of archivable items and Size of items ready to archive and I do not know what this values means and if someone can explain me I would appreciate that.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Safety Copy is the pending mail item in Exchange.  If this is set to never you will never get space savings in Exchange.  If you can not back up the Centera what will you do in the event that you lose data in the Centera?  Honestly, that is a bad idea!

For explaination about the report look here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273162.htm

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

Safety Copy is the pending mail item in Exchange.  If this is set to never you will never get space savings in Exchange.  If you can not back up the Centera what will you do in the event that you lose data in the Centera?  Honestly, that is a bad idea!

For explaination about the report look here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273162.htm

Nick007
Level 3
Partner

So if I well understend you if I set that safety copy is deleted after item is archived I will have free another 100 MB space (in my example) on user mailbox?
And another one question. Can I back up Centera with some backup tool or I must have another Centera for replication.

Nick

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Nick,

With all due respect stop what you are doing and read the manuals and read them again.  I do not mean this in a rude way but this is an archiving product and decisions you are making now can affect your company for many years from now and have legal consequences.  For example you are writing the data to a Centera.  Depending upon how it's set up such data may not be able to be deleted for years to come and would be legally discoverable etc etc.

So please don't rush into this.  Take your time and I hope you'll find most of this covered in the documentation.

Yours,
Mike Bilsborough
Director, Enterprise Vault Engineering.

Nick007
Level 3
Partner

Hi

I know that I maybe have stupid questions but as I already tell I am new in this area. So can you give me link or some documents where Symantec recommended replication of Centera as best option so that I can show that guys in my sell division.
And this is not production yet, I still testing systems.

Regards

TonySterling

Here is the EV Centera best practice doc:
http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h6790-symantec-enterprise-vault-centera-wp.pdf

But in reality it would be what EMC says is best practice to back up the Centera wouldn't?  It is fine for a lab box to not be backed up as you can always rebuild it but you would never operate in production without backing up the Vault Stores as that would be just asking for trouble.  For you lab system you can set the Safety Copy strategy to Immediately and not have to worry about pending items.  For the items that are already pending you could Cancel operation and re-archive them.