cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Backing up FSA Shortcuts

ronw
Level 4

I use HP Dataprotector (Omniback) for all backups and untill recently it worked fine backing up EV FSA file shortcuts. However a recent upgrade of server to 2008 and then SP1 Dataprotector is no longer backing up the shortcuts. In fact it doesnt even see them. I presume the Offline attribute is the problem. Spoke to HP and they suggest changing the backup config to include offline files. Did that still not working.

I also tried using StorageCrafts Shadow Protect to do a backup which creates an image file that can be mounted and data recovered. Trouble is that will not work with offline files either. It backs up the FSA stubs but when I click the stub file it does not pull th file out of th vault.

Any suggestions as to why neither product will back up the offline stub files

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

Regarding the HP product I would continue asking them why upgrading has all of a sudden stopped their product from working. From an EV perspective it does not change whether the OS is Windows 2003 or Windows 2008. It is still an offline file that uses reparse points to link to the actual data in EV.

Regarding StorageCrafts I have no knowledge of this particular product but I would hazard a guess that maybe the reparse information is not kept as you state the placeholders are backed up but clicking on them does not do anything. You can check the reparse points by using stream explorer which is freely downloadable from the net. You can confirm that the reparse points exist or not.

If you select the file in the middle screen in the right hand side you should see an icon which has a green arrow pointing upwards and one to the right and if you select this you should see the URL information in the bottom pane and that is the reparse point. If you do not see it then that is definately why the recalls are not working.

Regards...Paul.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

Regarding the HP product I would continue asking them why upgrading has all of a sudden stopped their product from working. From an EV perspective it does not change whether the OS is Windows 2003 or Windows 2008. It is still an offline file that uses reparse points to link to the actual data in EV.

Regarding StorageCrafts I have no knowledge of this particular product but I would hazard a guess that maybe the reparse information is not kept as you state the placeholders are backed up but clicking on them does not do anything. You can check the reparse points by using stream explorer which is freely downloadable from the net. You can confirm that the reparse points exist or not.

If you select the file in the middle screen in the right hand side you should see an icon which has a green arrow pointing upwards and one to the right and if you select this you should see the URL information in the bottom pane and that is the reparse point. If you do not see it then that is definately why the recalls are not working.

Regards...Paul.