cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using FE and BE for OWA

darren_corneliu
Level 3
We are using 5sp5 on 3 backend servers. After a bit of help from this site I have managed to get KVS to work from OWA on the backend servers. When I try to open an archived item using the FE server - I get an http 404 file not found error.
The same email works fine when pointing straight to the BE server. Looks like problems between IIS on both servers but not sure what to check. The log file shows the get command and the vaultidnumber but don know what else to check.
13 REPLIES 13

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Have you searched on OWA on this forum? There must be 20 threads discussing OWA issues...

darren_corneliu
Level 3
I have checked but nothing points to the same error I am getting

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
1. Log onto the front end server as the exchange administrator, from the control panel go to add/remove programs – remove KVS Enterprise vault.

2. In the Exchange System Manager remove the virtual directories.Under servers>protocols>HTTP>Exchange Virtual Server right click the EnterpriseVaultPublic select delete, right click EnterpriseVaultExchange again select Delete.

3. From Internet information service remove the virtual directories. Start>Program files>Administrative Tools> internet information service manager, assuming your using the default web site, remove all Enterprise vault Virtual directories – EnterpriseVaultpublic and EnterpriseVaultExchange.

4. Refresh on the exchange system manager and internet information services(IIS) manger to confirm all virtual directories have been deleted.

5. From windows Explorer>program files>KVS – remove all entries

6. Under the server directory on the Enterprise Vault CD run setup.exe
a.Select Frontend extensions only
b.Follow the on screen wizard until the prompted to run configuration
c.Deselect Run Configuration
d.Finish

7. Under the install directory under program files, Create a text file and rename to evservers.txt
8. Edit the text file enter the following details separated by a semicolon. (KVS Machine name;Alias;FQDN)
9. Check for version of windows scripting – Search wshom.ocx. version 5.6 or greater
10. Under the install directory for enterprise vault, double click the frontend2xxxsetup.wsf – follow the onscreen wizard.

darren_corneliu
Level 3
This is how I origionally installed it, but to test I followed your instructions - still nothing. The frontend2003setup.log file shows the process completed succesfully.

Under IIS the only extra dirs created is
EnterpriseVaultProxy and nothing under system manager. Should I have EnterpriseVaultExchange dirs for a front end server ? If so, any ideas why the install insn't creating them ?

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
You'll only get an EnterpriseVaultProxy virt dir for FE servers.

If you are using basic authentication make sure the default domain is not '\' and also make sure that Script execution is allowed on the EnterpriseVaultProxy virt dir.

darren_corneliu
Level 3
Basic authentication is ticked,I already removed the \ from domain and scripts is set to allow ?????

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
Try to access an item via the FE server and check the IIS logs on the EV server to see if anything is getting through (via the BE server).

Are the buttons appearing in the toolbar in OWA?

darren_corneliu
Level 3
This is the last line from the KVS servers logfile :
2005-12-22 12:37:09 10.3.1.204 GET /exchange/PCSupportt/Inbox/NORTHGATE+RENFREW/RE:+KVS-2.EML Cmd=view&vaultid=10B3F9976AFA33A4E9C198392340D1FF31110000renkvault.uk.mitsuibabcock.com&savesetid=217000000000000~200502030808360000~0~1AA3E70C116E4C21A19C14E768DA061 80 user\norsk-tip 10.2.2.233 Exchange-Server-Frontend-Proxy/6.5+Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+SV1;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322) 200 0 0

With version 5.5 you dont get any buttons on the toolbar - all you get is a band across the top saying the items has been archived - you click on the band and it should load the item - works fine going straight to BE server

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
I thought that you were running a 2003 FE!

5.5 puts everything direct to the EV server (I think) but doesn't require configuration (except for WinProxy).

I'll do some research and come back to you....

darren_corneliu
Level 3
I am using 2003 FE - I was referring to KVS 5 SP5 - sorry if I confused you !

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Do you have the proxy set up on the FE with all your BE servers in it?

darren_corneliu
Level 3
yes the proxy has been setup fine

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Hmmm, I think we might be getting a little bit lost on this thread.
Can you have a look in IIS on the FE server.
Goto the EnterprisevaultProxy virtual directory under your default website (providing that you are not running any custom HTTP servers) - properties - custom errors - Check that the 404 error has been redirected too '/EnterpriseVaultProxy/feproxy.asp' as an URL.

Also it would be useful to know if the 404 error you get in the IIS logs is only generated from the FE or other servers in the chain. Your previous excerpt from the EVSvr does not show the 404 error.

Cheers