cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedure to remove old database from EV Journaling

yarg
Level 4

Hi all,

We are in the process of migrating our Exchange infrastructure from on-premise to a cloud-based IAAS environment.  We use EV purely to archive the journal mailboxes on each MDB.  So what we have done so far is empty one of the MDBs and the only mailbox left on it is the journal mailbox.  Is it possible to remove that mailbox?  I'm primarily concerned about what the behaviour would be if that mailbox is deleted.  Our compliance/security team use the journal for discovery cases quite often and I need to ensure that the archive for this MDB will always be fully available/searchable.

If it is possible to decommission/remove the journal mailbox, then would the following be a correct procedure to get rid of it?

1) Disable journaling on the MDB at the Exchange level (using EMC/shell)
2) Remove this MDB as a target inside EV console
3) Delete the mailbox

Many thanks for your help!
G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi, the main question is: are you still using that journal mailbox? If you do, then do not remove it.

If not, you can remove it. Removing an Exchange Mailbox will NOT remove the archive. Usually compliancy departments use Discovery Accelerator to investigate mails. I assume they use DA. DA connects to the EV indexes, and then exports the results from the archive. As long as the archives exist, DA will work. Going to cloud does mean new items are no longer journaled right?

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi, the main question is: are you still using that journal mailbox? If you do, then do not remove it.

If not, you can remove it. Removing an Exchange Mailbox will NOT remove the archive. Usually compliancy departments use Discovery Accelerator to investigate mails. I assume they use DA. DA connects to the EV indexes, and then exports the results from the archive. As long as the archives exist, DA will work. Going to cloud does mean new items are no longer journaled right?

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

yarg
Level 4

Thanks for your reply.  In fact the cloud setup is a new Exchange DAG with new MDBs that are already being targetted by EV for journalling.  We have migrated all of the users from the original MDB to the new one in the cloud and all new mail traffic is being journalled and archived from there.  So now the only thing on the original MDB is the journal mailbox.

Yes, the compliance people use DA for their investigations.  If DA only cares about the archive itself and the indexes (ie if the original journal mailbox is gone) then that perfectly answers my question.

In that case, is the "decommissioning" process which I outlined in the OP correct?

Thanks,
G