cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress of Vaulting users

Vixter
Level 3

Hi 

I am quite new to EV and yet have to start vaulting an entire business soon.

If anyone could help with the below that would be great, we have just upgraded to 10.0.4:

• How can you tell how far through the archiving process a mailbox is, you set them off but i have no idea of know where it is upto?
  • I'd like to be able to estimate how long it will take to EV a mailbox?
  • It is possible to be able to select a mailbox and see how much it will shrink when EV'd?
  • We have lots of PST's some old some current any idea how to tell which ones the user's actually have connected to their clients?

Any pointers would help

Thanks

Vicky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Vicky,

• How can you tell how far through the archiving process a mailbox is, you set them off but i have no idea of know where it is upto?

EV10 has very nice Archiving reports. After you have run an archiving run (either manual or scheduled) check the \Enterprise Vault\Reports\Exchange Mailbox Archiving\"exchange server name"\RunNOw (or Scheduled) folder. Open the "Full-xxx" report and you see what has been done/will be done. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO77092 for more information

That depends on the number of items, size of the items, your policy, and the archiving schedule. It is difficult to asses, all depends on numbers. I have seen 10GB mailboxes being archived back to 1GB in 3 days, I also have seen the same size taking 14 days. As long as archiving is happening, why worry :)

• It is possible to be able to select a mailbox and see how much it will shrink when EV'd?

See the reports. You might be able to estimate based on 2 or 3 runs. This also depends on your archiving policy. Let's say you archive everything older than 1 month, without shortcuts (use Virtual Vault). In theory, the size of the mailbox would be the size of 1 month mail. If you do use shortcuts, it depends on how you configured the shortcut, but if you estimate a shortcut to be approximately 7Kb, you're safe.

• We have lots of PST's some old some current any idea how to tell which ones the user's actually have connected to their clients?

There are several options to determine this. The EV ADD-IN for Outlook marks CONNECTED pst's (i.e. when they are in the profile) which allows you to do PST-migration. There are several options to perform this. I advise to concentrate on archiving first, when you get that into grips, start on PST. I have some EV-sites performing an 'client driven' migration, which gives the site-admins some control over how much and when PST's are migrated. They enable a user for client driven migration, then walk over and make sure all the users PST's are listed in the migration window. You can also do server-driven, which allows you to control it. Check this whitepaper on PST migration with EV10. http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6625

I hope this all answers your questions. Please continue to ask more if needed. Also note to mark an answer as 'solution' if you feel your question is answered.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Vicky,

EV10 has very nice Archiving reports. After you have run an archiving run (either manual or scheduled) check the \Enterprise Vault\Reports\Exchange Mailbox Archiving\"exchange server name"\RunNOw (or Scheduled) folder. Open the "Full-xxx" report and you see what has been done/will be done. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO77092 for more information

That depends on the number of items, size of the items, your policy, and the archiving schedule. It is difficult to asses, all depends on numbers. I have seen 10GB mailboxes being archived back to 1GB in 3 days, I also have seen the same size taking 14 days. As long as archiving is happening, why worry :)

See the reports. You might be able to estimate based on 2 or 3 runs. This also depends on your archiving policy. Let's say you archive everything older than 1 month, without shortcuts (use Virtual Vault). In theory, the size of the mailbox would be the size of 1 month mail. If you do use shortcuts, it depends on how you configured the shortcut, but if you estimate a shortcut to be approximately 7Kb, you're safe.

There are several options to determine this. The EV ADD-IN for Outlook marks CONNECTED pst's (i.e. when they are in the profile) which allows you to do PST-migration. There are several options to perform this. I advise to concentrate on archiving first, when you get that into grips, start on PST. I have some EV-sites performing an 'client driven' migration, which gives the site-admins some control over how much and when PST's are migrated. They enable a user for client driven migration, then walk over and make sure all the users PST's are listed in the migration window. You can also do server-driven, which allows you to control it. Check this whitepaper on PST migration with EV10. http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6625

I hope this all answers your questions. Please continue to ask more if needed. Also note to mark an answer as 'solution' if you feel your question is answered.

Regards. Gertjan