Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Folder Archiving

Yaara
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I currently have exchange archiving in a 4000 users environment.

I want to implement public folder archiving.

As far as i know, when public folder archiving is enabled, then all folders structure is archived.

The thing is that, i want to archive only one folder, and prevent archiving from all other folders - including any new folder that will be created in the future.

I had one option in my mind which is to create a specific policy that will archive only very old items, and change the policy only for the specific folder that i want to archive.

I would like to know if this is the best solution, or maybe there is a better way.

Thanks, Yaara.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Yarra,

I think your idea about setting a specific policy on the folder you want to archive is a good one. You could do this using EVPM with the [publicfolder] section, and having a standard policy to archive after 999 years etc.

Both the options available for public folder archiving (standard or auto-enable) will archive sub-folders by default. While navigating the public folder tree, however, if another archive point is discovered on a subfolder then the archiving will obey those new rules. So, in this instance you could add in sub folders and then de-select the 'enable archiving of this public folder'.

This actually stops the public folder task transversing this branch of the public folder tree any further, but would be difficult to maintain. It would, however, increase your archiving performance (no need to scan through huge chunks of the tree). 

Regards,

Jeff

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Yarra,

I think your idea about setting a specific policy on the folder you want to archive is a good one. You could do this using EVPM with the [publicfolder] section, and having a standard policy to archive after 999 years etc.

Both the options available for public folder archiving (standard or auto-enable) will archive sub-folders by default. While navigating the public folder tree, however, if another archive point is discovered on a subfolder then the archiving will obey those new rules. So, in this instance you could add in sub folders and then de-select the 'enable archiving of this public folder'.

This actually stops the public folder task transversing this branch of the public folder tree any further, but would be difficult to maintain. It would, however, increase your archiving performance (no need to scan through huge chunks of the tree). 

Regards,

Jeff

Yaara
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Many Thanks Jeff