cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purge archives emails from certain folders.

Aaron_Norton
Level 4
Ok here is the scenario. I need to purge any items that are older than 18 months from a person Inbox, sent items and deleted items only. Not any subfolders. Is there a special way to do this other than the manual process of rcovering and deleting or deleting from each inbox etc? Thanks Aaron
10 REPLIES 10

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You really need to use Exchange Mailbox Manager as that is designed to do that, as opposed to EV, which isn't

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Aaron_Norton
Level 4
I understand that but what about the items that are already archived? How can I deleted them from the archive or is the only way to do this is a restore and delete or manual delete from the mailbox.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if they still have shortcuts than you can take advantage of EV's abilty to update the retention category of an archived item without having to restore it. create a new retention category for the 18 months and use EVPM to apply it on the folders you want.

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner

When updating the retention period of a "Retention Category" be aware that this change will apply to all other users that fall under the same Retention Category that is being changed.

Therefore, if you only need to apply these changes to a specific user than you may have a problem. I'm afraid an export and manual delete may be your only option...unless someone else has an alternative.

Please advise on any questions or comments.
Thanks,
Dennis
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 2007
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 8.0 for Exchange

AndrewB
Dennis, he'll just create a new retention category and apply it to the folders. He won't change any existing retention category.

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
Another comment...Did those folders already have a "Retention Category" applied to them?

It is my understanding that if NOT...then creating a new Retention Category and applying a EVPM script will work.

However, if they did have a "Retention Category" applied to them...then I don't believe creating a new retention category and applying a EVPM script will work. The reason being is because this update will not retroactively apply. Meaning that creating a new retention category and applying it to those specific folders will work but only from the date on which it was implemented. Previous archived data will continue to use the "Retention Category" assigned to those folders when the mailbox was originally enabled.

Please advise on any comments or feedback,
Thanks,
Dennis

AndrewB
EV8 has a nifty update retention category feature that takes care of this.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
yup the best you can do is run EVPM to specify the inbox, sent items etc with an 18 month category
Run Shortcut processing against the mailboxes, as long as the Update Retention Category is checked
Set the rest of your retention categories not to delete and then run storage expiry against it using Modified Date

However what i would make sure of though is that when you run the EVPM to set the new retention category, that it doesn't filter down to subfolders, otherwise when you do the update retention category, all the other shortcuts will be stamped with the new retention policy
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
AndrewB,

Thanks for the update! I wasn't aware that EV 8.0 had a workaround in order to retroactively apply. This will definitely be useful for us to know.

Best Regards,
Dennis

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
Is having shortcuts enabled a requirement for this type of EVPM update to work? We don't use shortcuts, but I wanted to confirm if the result will be the same.

Thanks for your help!
Best Regards,
Dennis