cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q: Purge A3 Queue for Reporting?

Frank_Castle
Level 2
Hi,

I've been charged with maintaining an existing EV environment - EV 5SP6.  We commenced archiving 4 Exchange servers (for the first time) at the beginning of the year and it is still getting through the initial phase of archiving all mail pre-2006.

I have been using "Run Now" for the archive services each time after the queues finish processing (because of 3000 max limit and to monitor better).  In fact today I have just inititated another "run".  However management now wants to know how much pre-2006 mail we have left to archive....!

I understand that I can run the archive services in report mode (A3 queue) to get the necessary info.  However  there are already messages in A3 (because of "Run Now" archiving) for processing.

Can I still run the reports and get it in a timely fashion or can I manually purge the A3 queue and then run the reports?  What's the best way to get a report on how much mail still needs to be archived?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Tia!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Frank_Castle
Level 2
Thanks, yeah I have carried out the steps in:
and
http://support.veritas.com/docs/284814 (even tho this article is not entirely relevant to what is happening)

I just finished re-installing Outlook 2003 and ESM w/ SP2 on the EV server.

This is the error I still get:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Archive Service
Event ID: 6197
Date:  28/03/2007
Time:  11:44:27
User:  N/A
Computer: <Name changed to protect the innocent>
Description:
Error occurred when sending a message
There are insufficient resources to perform this operation.  [0xc00e0027]

Most likely I'm gonna need to raise a support call...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would recommend letting it finish if you can and just run your report later.

How many items are in the q?

Frank_Castle
Level 2
There are 1545 items (1545 mailboxes to process) in the A3 queue for this Exchange server - it takes over a week or more to process this many - what with backups halting archiving overnight and also intermittent crashing (but that's another story - "insufficient resources" error in app log).

I am thinking that purging the A3 queue is OK as this is simply the queue of all mailboxes on an Exchange server waiting to be processed for archiving....  Unfortunately management want a report asap.

TonySterling
3 weeks to process?  What criteria do you use to archive?

I guess that is a different issue.

I normally don't recommend it, but you can purge this queue, just be sure to stop the services first and NOT to purge anything from a1, a2, or a4.

Frank_Castle
Level 2
Thanks.  I just needed a sanity check.

Trying to archive all pre-2006 mail which seems to be quite a bit - starting from scratch.

TonySterling
I see, might be better to just do 1000 per pass, that way it would take a 1000 from each mailbox and finish up quicker for you in case you needed access to it like in this case.  Just a suggession. :)

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

If you're getting insufficient resources, 'error whilst sending message'.  Check the tech note database as there are articles on Microsoft registry keys to change it's memory management.

Frank_Castle
Level 2
Thanks, yeah I have carried out the steps in:
and
http://support.veritas.com/docs/284814 (even tho this article is not entirely relevant to what is happening)

I just finished re-installing Outlook 2003 and ESM w/ SP2 on the EV server.

This is the error I still get:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Archive Service
Event ID: 6197
Date:  28/03/2007
Time:  11:44:27
User:  N/A
Computer: <Name changed to protect the innocent>
Description:
Error occurred when sending a message
There are insufficient resources to perform this operation.  [0xc00e0027]

Most likely I'm gonna need to raise a support call...