cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about large PST files

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm working with a customer that has several PST files around 50GB, created with Outlook 2010 and 2013.

We're running EV 11.0.1 and we have Outlook 2007 on the EV server.  Outlook 2007 can't open PST files this big.  We're getting different types errors when running the Import PST wizard, from a bad password (there is none) to access denied.

The customer wants these PST files in a shared archive (they don't care about the folder structure), so we can't use server-driven migrations (not sure that would even work with PST files this size). 

So I have a few questions:

1. Is it worth trying EVPM to import these PSTs?  I'm not sure EVPM can import to a shared archive.

2. If we install the EV console on a computer with Outlook 2013, and try to run the PST import wizard there, will that help?  Or will the import still happen with the EV server version of Outlook?

3. Would it make a difference to upgrade Outlook on the EV server to 2013?

Any insight is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if you think outlook on the EV server is the issue then be sure to check the compatibility guide but sure, you could upgrade to outlook 2013. another option would be to break up the oversized PSTs into smaller ones using a computer that lets you open them and then run the wizard.

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

I would concur with Andrew.

I've previously done a large import of PST's where the occassional PST would just constantly error and ultimately the only fix was to import PST's back into Outlook then export back to new PST

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

From what I could find, Outlook 2007 has an 18GB limit for PST files and Outlook 2010 and 2013 have a 50GB limit.

We did upgrade Outlook on the EV server to 2013 and could successfully import those large files.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

perfect. happy to help.