cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about licensing when using SMTP archiving

Stormonts
Level 5

We have an Enterprise Vault server that has 1 SMTP Journal archive to which Exchange Online messages are CC'ed.  We spoke to a licensing rep who said that we would need 1 x "ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS RENEWAL FOR ENTERPRISE VAULT EMAIL MGMT 1 USER ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE CORPORATE" license.

They also said that we would need a "ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS RENEWAL FOR ENTERPRISE VAULT ARCHIVE DISCOVERY 1 USER ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE CORPORATE" license for each mailbox that is CC'ing messages into that archive.

Is that correct?

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello, what do you mean with cc'ed?

Do you have a mailflowrule doing this? Or are your users setting the cc recipient? Or, do you use a journal rule.

When using a journal rule, the last remark (Archive Discovery) is valid. That is the 'journal archiving and discovery' license, which is required when using journaling. If however you somehow manually do this cc (without a specific journal rule), I do not see the need for this license.

HOWEVER! Veritas should give you the correct information on licensing, not this forum. 

Regards. Gertjan

We created an Office 365 to Enterprise Vault Send Connecter as detailed here: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/123165319-123165378-0/v123136571-123165378

Then there is a mail flow rule that BCCs a copy of all messages to the @smtp.local address configured in the connector.

I came to the forum in the hopes that others have the same setup, since I don't feel like the answer I got from Veritas is exactly correct.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello again,

From an EV user standpoint, I would say you only need a userlicense. From Veritas standpoint, I would indeed ask for a journal license.

You state: "BCCs a copy of all messages", which is what Journaling does, except that journaling encapsulates the original message, and gives you the bcc recipients also. 

You might be up to some heavy discussion with Veritas :)

Regards. Gertjan