Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question around Backup Mode and Stopping EV Services

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I have a fairly large EV customer, 11000 users, and one of the issues I have noticed is that DBCC reports back  and generally finds Fragmentation in various SQL tables. We put the EV servers into backup mode when SQL  maintenance runs yet we don't seem to see the level of defragmentation that you would expect to find when SQL maintenance completes

I have seen in some of the SQL EV documentation that is suggested to stop the EV serivces completeley and not run them in Backip Mode for effective SQL maintenance

My question is does backup mode remove all locks to the various SQL Tables that would prevent maintenance from running? Because obviously Backup mode still allows some connections to SQL for retrieval purposes. And from what the SQL Admins are telling me is that the maintenance process will skip tables that an application has locked,.,,so does Backup mode also lock certain SQL tables ?

Or is it better to stop all EV services during SQL maintenance so there is no chance of any EV  SQL table being locked?

1 REPLY 1

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hey bruce, we're sort of having the same conversation here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-vault-sql-server-fragmentation