Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question around Windows 2008 Backup ( and EV ) and Archive Bit

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi all

I know this is technically a Microsoft issue but I was wondering if anyone has seen this

The customer is going to be purchasing Netbackup but in the interim they are using Windows 2008 Backup ,its a component that lacks functionality in my opinion

Anyway I have noticed despite the fact the backups are running successfully and the VSS settings are configured for Full Backup its not resetting the Archive Bit , so EV is reporting items as " Awaiting Backup "

The Storage device is an EMC  Symmetrix and according the Storage guys this does support changing of the Archive Bit .I can use a Trigger File but I want to make sure the Backups are actually running

Any idea's why NT Backup wouldn't reset the Archive Bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

From what I can see on the web the archive bit is not used/reset in Windows Backup anymore.

The following post is about Win7 but it refers to a W2K8 article.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/a29b92e1-a9ed-475e-affc-ba82dd...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

FreKac2
Level 6

From what I can see on the web the archive bit is not used/reset in Windows Backup anymore.

The following post is about Win7 but it refers to a W2K8 article.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/a29b92e1-a9ed-475e-affc-ba82dd...

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Fredrik my good man :)

I'm confused ,check this article out from the same website .To me this say it is supported ..but I may be misunderstanding ?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/97aac730-ed3b-44bf-b145-42d14... 

FreKac2
Level 6

Yeah I saw that one to.

I interpret the thread/article that the VSS Copy or VSS Full modes is in regard to e.g. Exchange or SQL where you have application logs.

So basicly doing a truncate of the T-logs on a SQL server afterwards, if doing a VSS Full that is.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

I have had a few customers after moving/upgrading their EV servers to Windows 2008 they were not able to use Windows NT backup because the reset/remove of the archive bit function has been removed. They asked MS but I don't think they got as definitive answer.

They moved to using Trigger File and it was all OK. The backup guys had to ensure that the backup of their EV data are successfully backed up and checked,

Thanks.

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Fredrik and CTEV

So that confirms it for me

I ended up using the Trigger File as I am pressed for time on this implementation

Thanks

FreKac2
Level 6

I find it at bit strange though that they removed such a simple feature.

Even backup software that don't really use the archive bit still allows it to be reset :)

BTW, it's not NT Backup anymore since that was a cut down version of BackupExec. The backup in Win7/W2K8 is by MS own design.

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I agree ,and it actually is an inconvenience when it comes to applications like EV.