Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Symantec - McAfee Antivirus Compatibility

Old_Man_Jensen
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello everyone,

I'm currently dealing with an EV system where users are seeing failures with Archive Explorer and the search in general, where the Event Log fills with 41315 index warnings, complaining about 'invalid access to memory location'.

After doing a bit of research, I was brought to this article:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TE... , which - since the EV server was recently updated to version 8.8 patch 4 of McAfee - pretty-much nailed the issue.  We did implement the workarounds since the AV folks say it's out of the question to roll back McAfee, but we still are having the issue pop up once every three or four days.  It clears when we restart the indexing service, so we have a process to go forward with.

My question here is for someone at Symantec:  Is there a timeline for certification of version 8.8 of McAfee?  The Certification Guide shows this as pending for versions 10 and 11, and I'd like to get an idea of how long we'll be doing the Index restarts.

Appreciate any help on this!

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MassimoVagli
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Jason, 

There is not yet a timeline for the McAfee 8.8 patch 4 certification.

According to our records the exclusions as follow have 'workarounded' the issue: 

C:\inetpub\temp\apppools\EnterpriseVaultAppPool\
C:\Windows\inf\Enterprise Vault Index Query Server\
C:\Windows\TEMP\
C:\progra~2\enterp~1\

The last with the ~ is because apparently McAfee is still using the file format 8.3 for accessing some files / folders.

Massimo 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if this issue has been verified, i would suggest escalating through your channel team and through the customer's account team

MassimoVagli
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Jason, 

There is not yet a timeline for the McAfee 8.8 patch 4 certification.

According to our records the exclusions as follow have 'workarounded' the issue: 

C:\inetpub\temp\apppools\EnterpriseVaultAppPool\
C:\Windows\inf\Enterprise Vault Index Query Server\
C:\Windows\TEMP\
C:\progra~2\enterp~1\

The last with the ~ is because apparently McAfee is still using the file format 8.3 for accessing some files / folders.

Massimo 

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I just spoke with a customer who faced the same issue. They actually ended up replacing McAfee with SEP because it caused them so much head ache.

Old_Man_Jensen
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Andrew, I can  understand that customer's solution entirely.  Every time I see McAfee installed somewhere, I just KNOW I'm going to have some issue or another to deal with.

I appreciate the replies.  I did get with our Symantec rep's, and they did confirm that there's no timeline for McAfee compatibility at this point.  The issue's been noted, however, and hopefully with enough people pinging the dev's the priority will go up.

Massimo, thanks for the tip on the 8.3 format.  I'll be sure to pass that along to the security guys.