cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for best solution to a 2 server scenario

Andy297
Level 4

Hello,

I have the following scenario. We currently have 1 ev server on one site. Now users from another site, connected via WAN shall be enabled for archiving, but the storage has to reside on the other side of the users also so the ev server on site 2 is archiving to the local storage of site 2.

So, like in this picture:

Unbenannt.JPG

I have read various articles and I think the best solution could be the following:

Remain with having 1 EV directory, and 1 EV Site, but 2 servers in this site.

I would create seperate Vault Store Group on the second server, vault store, indexing location. Then create new provisioning groups with default setting to the local storage location on server 2. 

I think the problem here is that this 2 servers target the same Exchange servers (8 in my case). As far as I read the manuals its only allowed to connect to an exchange server with one archiving task, no matter if you have multiple EV Servers. So I assume I would fail creating an archiving task on the second server, right ?

Greatly appreciate any help on this scenario.

Regards

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy297
Level 4

Thanks Wit.

We have now also decided to go with the WAN traffic and dont split the environment.

Thanks all

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andy297
Level 4

Just another addition...the whole case of this scenario is we must have the second server archive also directly from the same exchange servers, so its not utilizing the WAN connection for archiving between the 2 sites. As the Exchange servers are located on a completely different site

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Andy,

You also need to consider the latency to the SQL server. you might need to have a SQL server in site b, where you store the VSG and VS database.

Anyway. Did you find this document: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6678

It is a whitepaper called "Archiving a Single Exchange Server with Multiple EV Servers"

That might help.

Regards. Gertjan

Andy297
Level 4

Hi Gertjan,

thanks for your feedback. I will just start reading through the document.

I just wonder, is this a very special case I have here ? I thought this is kind of a standard request in a bigger environment. Or is there a better way I can achieve this than targeting the same exchange servers twice ?

Thank you

Andreas

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I have found it to work best to have the EV servers/storage/SQL all in the same location and run the archiving task across the WAN.  This has proven to be the most efficient solution.  Alternatively you could have two separate environment, but that doubles the admin load and makes it more difficult to move users from one site to the other amoung other things.

An option I have used with some success is to have an EV server just for archiving in the remote site, but keeping the Storage/SQL in the primary site. 

Trying to split the EV servers doing Storage/Indexing in a remote site creates issues with SQL even when there is a remote SQL for the VS and VSG.  The processes regularly connect to the EV Directory db and latency will kill performance.

Andy297
Level 4

Thanks Wit.

We have now also decided to go with the WAN traffic and dont split the environment.

Thanks all