cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on upgrading from Enterprise Vault 9 to 10

huge_pickle
Level 4

I'm a new administrator of an existing Enterprise Vault environment and would appreciate some help with a couple of questions so thanks in advance.

I currently have Symantec Enterprise Vault 9.0.0.1193 deployed with Exchange 2010. My overall goal is to upgrade Enterprise Vault to version 10.x via an in-place upgrade and then later upgrade Exchange to 2013. Here are my questions:

1. Overall, what is the process for upgrading Enterprise Vault from 9.0.0.1193 to the latest version of 10.x via an in-place upgrade?

2. Are there any special tips or tricks I should know about?

3. Do I need to make any changes on the Exchange 2010 side when I do this upgrade (before I upgrade to Exchange 2013, that will come later one)?

4. I'm currently using Discovery Accelerator. Is there anything I need to do there as part of the 9.0.0.1193 to 10.x upgrade?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. EV 10 requires 64bit OS. check the compatibility guide for all the other components in your environment as well.

2. backup, backup, backup. and read the upgrade doc

3. there's a permissions script and a throttling policy script. if you already have those in place then no.

4. you can upgrade DA first. again, check the compatibility guide and the upgrade doc. you might need to install an EV9 SP first for DA.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB

1. EV 10 requires 64bit OS. check the compatibility guide for all the other components in your environment as well.

2. backup, backup, backup. and read the upgrade doc

3. there's a permissions script and a throttling policy script. if you already have those in place then no.

4. you can upgrade DA first. again, check the compatibility guide and the upgrade doc. you might need to install an EV9 SP first for DA.

huge_pickle
Level 4

This is great, thanks.

Per your mention of upgrading DA first, does that mean there's a separate process to upgrade DA vs. E-Vault itself? Is there a best practice as to which one I should upgrade first?

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Upgrading DA is a seperate process, Refer to the below link for DA upgrade instructions 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6265

AndrewB

yes, DA is seperate from EV and has its own upgrade path. while not a requirement, i'd say it's generally a best practice to upgrade DA first.