cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding CPU upgrade in SQL database servers

reachmitra
Level 3

We are advised by Symantec to upgrade our SQL servers to 8 CPU as a part of resolving perormance issue. But, when we raised tickets to our internal server team for the same, they cautioned us that "With the increased number of the CPU’s the wait time will also increase unless the application supports multi threading. The wait time is from a process waiting for 8 CPU’s to be free before processing the request.Virtual machines may actually run slower with 8 CPUs"

So my question is this really true? I always had an impression that increasing CPU will increase performance.

Do EV,CA,DA(version 9.0,2) support multi threading?

Enterprise vault version: 9.0.2

Discovery accelerator/Compliance accelerator :9.0.2

SQL server: SQL 2005

SQL server running on VMware virtual environment

~ Deb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Elio_C
Level 6

Been doing a lot of similar research on this and I found the following helpful "CPU Overcommitment VMware vSPhere 5.1" by John Borhek (Google it)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Did you ask the question of Symantec via Support ? I assume you've an open ticket with them regarding this issue if the finger has been pointed at SQL ?

Working for cloudficient.com

reachmitra
Level 3

The previous case was closed. We opened a new case but the response from symantec support is that they will only help with break fix issue and not with any query as it is not under scope of support.Instead, they asked us to contact symantec partner.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Well OK. Not to argue the point though, but you should reference the old case and ask the question. That being said there are several partners that offer health checks for example Adept-Tec. And, I havent seen EV before badly with MORE SQL CPUs. It might not be the cure though, as you might encounter other issues. I would suggest a health check.
Working for cloudficient.com

Elio_C
Level 6

Been doing a lot of similar research on this and I found the following helpful "CPU Overcommitment VMware vSPhere 5.1" by John Borhek (Google it)