Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Public Folder Archiving

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I am busy with a new EV 11 installation and Exchange 2010, we have  successfully targeted all the Exchange mailbox  servers. The customer also has three dedicated Public Folder Exchange servers and I have some questions about how EV works with Public folder archiving

• There are no mailbox databases on these Public folder servers  so I cant target the  PF servers from the VAC as I can't browse and find a system mailbox. I assume we just need to create a mailbox database on these PF servers  with a EV system mailbox on them?
  • All 3 of these PF Exchange servers are Master PF servers which means any Public Folder that gets created replicates the PF data between them. So do I just need to target and archive data from one PF server and then this will replicate the EV shortcut to the other 2 PF servers? Or do I need to add all 3 PF servers? I can't see why that would be applicable as the data is the  same on all 3 PF servers and reliplication is working?
  • The Exchange admins explained to me that PF Exchange servers are not part of  the DAG. So what happens from a redundancy perspective if the primary PF server I am targeting crashes? I assume users will still be able to access the shortcuts because of the other two online PF servers. But from an archiving perspective EV will obviously only be able to archive data once the PF Exchange server is brought back online?

Thanks in advance :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Pretty much answered all the questions yourself! Yes to the DB and mailbox to access the public folders Yes to only targeting one server and letting the shortcuts replicate And yes to having to wait for the old server to come back online
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Pretty much answered all the questions yourself! Yes to the DB and mailbox to access the public folders Yes to only targeting one server and letting the shortcuts replicate And yes to having to wait for the old server to come back online
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Alex, I appreciate the feedback