cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quota based archiving mailbox policy - quick question

Merv
Level 6
Partner
Hi guys, Just wanna check on the behavior of a pure mailbox policy by quota without any override settings like archive large items first. How does it pick out messages ? Is it first in first out? I.e by age ? Larger messages first so it gets you within the quota quicker or just random? Thanks in advance now.. Gonna try this in my EV10 lab later too but just knowing the answer off hand will be great! Cheers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So for quota without setting an entry to start with large items first I believe it is stricty the oldest messages first.

I always recommend with starting with the large items and set a Never archive younger than setting to something reasonable, like a week or two weeks.

HTH,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So for quota without setting an entry to start with large items first I believe it is stricty the oldest messages first.

I always recommend with starting with the large items and set a Never archive younger than setting to something reasonable, like a week or two weeks.

HTH,

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Mailbox Policy by quota creates possibility of archiving too many items. So you do not get the results you want.

How does it pick out messages ?

Comment: Archiving keeps a percentage of each user's Exchange Mailbox storage limit free.

Is it first in first out? I.e by age ?

Comment: By default archiving works by Modified Date. Items are archived when they have not been modified for the time that you sepcify. Nothing like FIFO way.

I would recommend you to ref.

Admin Guide for the EV version you wish to follow.

and

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64654