cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFI re CenteraPing...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Are there any advantages to using CenteraPing over a vanila ping?

...or more to the point...

1) Does CenteraPing actually open both UDP and TCP ports 3218 to confirm something is listenning at the target address?

2) Does CenteraPing actually send/receive any application protocol packets to prove that CentraStar is active at the target IP address?

(My question is not related to CenteraVerify - which I know goes a step further and actually writes/reads/deletes.)

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

On their site one difference I found was this:

Using ‘ping’ to check Centera connectivity

EMC Centera online clusters do not respond to any ‘ping’ queries and any such attempts will fail. It is recommended that you do not use ‘ping’ as a method to check for connectivity from your network.

That seems to be a big one.  I am sure if you posed the question to EMC they could give you all the differences.

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling

EMC has info about that on there site:

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-2458;jsessionid=73FC28F24DA97C4DC0D5842750810CFB

CenteraPing is a utility that allows you to quickly check the health status of an EMC® Centera® cluster. This tool is an executable that runs from a command line and can be integrated easily into your system.

To examine a specific cluster, you must obtain the IP address of a node with the access role belonging to that cluster. 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Thanks Tony.

Followed the links, but they don't really answer my questions.

Can anyone describe the differences between a plain ICMP ping and a "CenteraPing"?

TonySterling

On their site one difference I found was this:

Using ‘ping’ to check Centera connectivity

EMC Centera online clusters do not respond to any ‘ping’ queries and any such attempts will fail. It is recommended that you do not use ‘ping’ as a method to check for connectivity from your network.

That seems to be a big one.  I am sure if you posed the question to EMC they could give you all the differences.

Regards,