cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Archive an Exchange Mailbox

Dr_Gary
Level 3

Greetings,

We are currently testing EVault for Exchange archiving.

I archived a user's entire mailbox by creating a policy that is based upon age only...and selecting 0 days old for archiving.  The archive tasks ran fine...and archived the entire mailbox successfuly. 

Since this was a test, I then proceeded to delete the just created archive via the admin GUI.

I disabled the mailbox...then re-enabled the mailbox...thus creating a new empty EVault archive.  I then re-ran the archive task for this one user...however, even though the original archive was deleted normally....it now only archives new items.

Running a DTrace revealed that the other itmes were not being selected for archive becasue they have "not been modified"....here are my questions:

1) What is EVault comparing with the Exchange mailbox item's modified date to make the decision that the item has not changed. It wiould seem to me that when an archive is deleted...all of its archived content would also be deleted from EVault's data tables...thus, it would not be aware of an existing archive date for these items.

2) What can be done to override this inherit logic and force a re-archive of the entire mailbox contents?  I have tried setting the IgnoreEVDates registry value to 3 without success.

Any help would be appreciated.  This just seems too difficult for a relatively easy operation. I'm sure I am not the first user to test the product by archiving something...deleting the test archive...and then want to re-archive the same content in production.

Thanks,

Dr Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

FWIW if you delete an archive in the VAC, it does just that.

Deletes the archive

It doesn't touch the mailbox (or the shortcuts within the mailbox). Never has.

There isn't a way to archive the data without adding MAPI properties to the items that are archived.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Did you restore all the data before you deleted the archive? If not then the stuff in the mailbox is just shortcuts, right, not the original data?  And no matter what you do, EV won't archive it's own shortcuts.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you restored the items then you will need to use the IgnoreEVDates reg key as the modified date is the day your restored them and the items won't be archived until that modified date matches your archive policy.

Create  the REG_DWORD IgnoreEVDates in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agent. 

Set the value of IgnoreEVDates to 3 (decimal), then restart the archiving task.

Dr_Gary
Level 3

The policy that I used to create the initial archive specified that nothing was to be deleted...and no shortcuts were to be created.  This was effectively a simple copy process to an archive...the mailbox contents was not altered.

So...all the messages remain in the mailbox.  I can open Outlook and see them.  No restore was done because nothing was deleted.

I tried the registry setting that you mentioned...and nothing was archived except new items.

There must be a way to do this...

GKG

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Use :

MFCMAPI

MDBVU32

Outlook Spy

or similar

And check some of the old items ..  check the MAPI properties. Have you got SaveSet ID, Archive ID, Archive Date, etc?

TonySterling

When EV archives items is tags them, so what you are seeing is expected and not easily changed. This very scenario is discussed here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/re-archiving-mails-new-policy#comment-5230091

and the only answer is what JW3 recommends:

The way to get around that is to have small app (vbs or what not) that trawls your mailbox, looking for the specific EV properties and then removing them from the message and having them archived a new, but in an existing environment, that would just mean you now have duplicate emails.

You would have been better off creating the shortcuts and then restoring.  Then you could just put the IgnoreEVDates reg key inplace.

Dr_Gary
Level 3

IMAP values such as Archive ID, SaveSet are not present on these items in the mailbox...there are other EVault related values, such as ArchiveDate which coincides with the original archive run.

Could values such as ArchiveDate be preventing the process from re-archiving even if no Archive ID Saveset, etc., exists? 

It would seem to me that when an archive is deleted via the admin GUI...these values should be removed/nullified on the mailbox items...as Evault will no longer be able to retrieve these items...these IMAP values are really no longer valid.

My question remains...how can I get EVault to ignore these EVault IMAP values on the mailbox items...so I can re-archive the items and overlay the existing IMAP values with new ones?

Thanks,

GKG

TonySterling

Yes, ArchiveDate and other properties will keep EV from archiving those items. You will either have to manually archive them or, as noted in the thread I linked to, you would need to create a little app to parse the mailbox to remove those EV related properties.

Dr_Gary
Level 3

IMAP values such as Archive ID, SaveSet are not present on these items in the mailbox...there are, however, other EVault populated values that are present, such as Archived Date which coincides with the original archive processing run.

According to the DTrace log....items are not being re-archived because the item has not been modified since the last archive.

It would seem to me that when an archive is deleted via the EVault admin GUI...these values, such as Archived Date, etc., should be nullified on the mailbox items...since Evault will effectively not be able to retrieve these items any longer...these “orphaned” IMAP values are really no longer valid.

It also seems in this case...that using the IgnoreEVDates registry value of 3 should bypass the check highlighted by Dtrace and re-archive these items...but this did not appear to work for me. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dr_Gary
Level 3

Tony,

Thanks for the great info....

It looks like I will have to write a script to remove the EV related proerties at least to run against this one mailbox...which properties should be included?  Is there any documentation that may assist me?

Thanks again...

Dr Gary

Dr_Gary
Level 3

Tony,

One more question...

What about using the DVPM command line interface and the ZAP option?  As documneted:

[Directory]
DirectoryComputerName = Vaultserver_that_hosts_directoryservice

Sitename = sitename_from_admin_console

[Mailbox]
DistinguishedName = /o=organization/ou=mailboxou/cn=Recipients/cn=mailboxcname

[Folder]
Name = Mailboxroot
Zap = True

Would this remove the EVault extended MAPI properties and allow me to re-archive?

Thanks,

GKG

TonySterling

Sorry but no, the EVPM will only remove the hidden message from the mailbox.  I think you could PM JesusWept3 to see if he has a handy app to help with this.  I think he does.

Dr_Gary
Level 3

Ok...thanks I will give that a try....

Dr Gary

Dr_Gary
Level 3

Hi Tony,

I attempted to contact JesusWept3 via direct message...however, he has not responded.  Any other way that I could get in contact with him?

Thansk,

Dr Gary

Dr_Gary
Level 3

Tony...

One more question...is there any way that you are aware of to create an EVault archiving policy that does NOT add any MAPI properties to the mailbox? 

I do not see this as an option within the GUI...but thought possibly there was a registry change that may allow this to be accomplished.

Thanks,

Dr Gary

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

FWIW if you delete an archive in the VAC, it does just that.

Deletes the archive

It doesn't touch the mailbox (or the shortcuts within the mailbox). Never has.

There isn't a way to archive the data without adding MAPI properties to the items that are archived.

Dr_Gary
Level 3

Thanks for the info Rob....

Dr Gary