cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Enable Retention Policy

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

When we put in EV about 7 years ago, the majority of the mail we captured via journaling was put in a three year retention policy. However, not too long after we were up and running our compliance people asked us to turn off the policy enforcement (long story).

I am now getting the OK from compliance to enforce the policy. When we turn this on, I would imagine a good portion of the 8TB of data we have in Centera will be over three years old and will be purged. Should I expect to see a big impact on system performance? Just curious...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes, it will be absolutely massive
My suggestion is make it so that the retention is 6 years
then enable expiry, let the data delete and monitor the resources and see how it performs
Then as you progress switch it to 5 years , and then let it delete then 4 years , then 3 years etc

Otherwise you risk more time performing expensive SQL Queries, consuming lots of memory and not deleting much at all if you just try and blast the whole hog straight away

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6

Yes, it will be absolutely massive
My suggestion is make it so that the retention is 6 years
then enable expiry, let the data delete and monitor the resources and see how it performs
Then as you progress switch it to 5 years , and then let it delete then 4 years , then 3 years etc

Otherwise you risk more time performing expensive SQL Queries, consuming lots of memory and not deleting much at all if you just try and blast the whole hog straight away

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

Additionally:

You might want to consider is making sure expiry only runs during hours of low journaling activity.

If you have a particularly large vault store database it may also be worth configuring journaling to point to an archive in a new vault store database at this point so that the insert activity is not going to conflict with the delete activity.

If you were running on or close to the edge of capacity, doing something like this can easily bring the system to its knees.

Regards,

Jeff

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

Thanks for the info gents. I'll throttle it down as suggested and only during off-hours