cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-use the enterprise vault storage database

Charles_C
Level 4

HI all,

I have installed a new server for acting as enterprise vault domino gatway on my network.

domino server and ev has already installed, seems without any problem.

The new server is for replacing the old evdg with upgraded the domino server from 7 to 8.5, and the ev from 9.02 -10.

DB is located in a separate server.

I would like to use the old configuration which I had setup from the old server such as enterprise vault storage, mail server profile, provisioning tasks, policy...... Can I re-use it, or at least I want the new server can load the previous enterprise vault storage database instead of I create a new one.

Because I had some mailboxs inside the old enterprise vault storage database.

Do you think whether my scenrio can work or anymore good suggestion?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I suggest you log a support case but really it's Professional Services you need.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you migrating from EV9 to a new server with EV10 ?
Then you can use the Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration wizard:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH141481

Charles_C
Level 4

yes, but i have already setup the new server and installed everything on it, can i just load the enterprise vault storage instead? just want to get rid of re-creating the enterprise vault storage again. afraid i am not able to read the previous mailbox afterward.

if the migration wizard is the only way then I just follow it. hope no need re-install the ev and domino server again, quite time consuming.

thanks

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What do you mean with load the "Enterprise vault storage" ?

If you want to copy the data from the old server to the new server, yes the migration wizard is the way to go.

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

All of the detauils you mentioned are contained within the enterprise vault directory database that holds all of the storage config details. You can migrate the settings or you can do this during setup on the new server by pointing the server at the existing directory database.

Charles_C
Level 4

because i created a mess currently, making the ev and the database having problem.

I used the same server name and same ip addr to my new server, but it is in the different hardware.

what I did is,

1. unplug the network cable from the old server let the EVDG no longer reach the network and EV DB.

2. create a new server with the same server name, ip and same domnio server ID. Install the EV administration tool afterwards.

3. I use the ev configuration wizard to set up, however it said it can found the SQL but my new server is not list in the directory database, then I click cancel in this page.

4. I go inside the wizard again, and it asked me to delete the vault directory database. I accidently clicked the next and it seems start to delete somthing, I stop it after several seconds.

5.I feel something wrong and I unplug the network cable of the new server, and plug the network cable of the old server to the network, now. the old server also can not start the ev administration program by and error of something like unable to open the directory.

Please help, in the worst case I can remove everything start from scratch but the only thing is I do not want to re-install the SQL server.

In addition, now, I still can view the EV archived mails from my lotus notes client, but everytime I got an error of EV connection problem. I already run the lotus notes default archive to archive the mails which EV archived before, everything seems fine. I just want to make sure it is really archived to my desktop's .nsf file.

THANKS A LOT

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I suggest you log a support case but really it's Professional Services you need.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you back up SQL before you started all this?

It sounds like you need to restore the EV Directory database, but as Percy said, you really should bring in someone experienced in working with the product to help you with this.