cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild Vault Store Database from Vault Store?

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner
Hi, Stupid Question I know, but is there any utility to resync the Vault Store Partition on disk and the Vault Store Database?

The situation that follows is totally a result of poor initial backups, and this issue is not production critical (we're in pilot at the moment).

Situation:
Index for the journal archive will not rebuild because the vault store (on disk) does not equal what is in the vault store database. The database had more information than what was actually on disk. Good case in point for keeping the vault store database in sync with the backups of the vault store partitions.

So, we've restored the last full backup of the database and the index now rebuilds quite well. The vault store partition on disk, however, now has items which are not included in the index, because these items were not recorded in the vault store database (I think).

Now, is there a way to re-include items on disk in the vault store database? I am almost certain there is not, but thought I would ask.

Ryan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner
I got this resolved via support. The utility is DVSChecker 2007 for enterprise vault 2007. To stave off the questions, no, I cannot provide it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

There is a VSVerify.exe utility, but you have to get it from Support...

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner
Well that's a dead useful utility, it would be great to have as a distributed utility.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
Yes support can provide the tool.  it's not by default part of the kit because we don't want people blindly running a repair tool without running their situation with support.

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner
I got this resolved via support. The utility is DVSChecker 2007 for enterprise vault 2007. To stave off the questions, no, I cannot provide it.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
The tool in question, DVS checker will scan the vault partitions and populate the database with any missing DVS files. VSVerify is the opposite, it scans the database and verifies the physical DVS file, this will only report on missing DVS or corrupt DVS files and will not remake them - that is why backups are so so important!

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner

Mark Barefoot wrote:
The tool in question, DVS checker will scan the vault partitions and populate the database with any missing DVS files. VSVerify is the opposite, it scans the database and verifies the physical DVS file, this will only report on missing DVS or corrupt DVS files and will not remake them - that is why backups are so so important!

As to backups - yes, yes, yes - and to add on, they must be synchronized (i.e. disk, index, and database) as stated in the Admin Guide.

In this case we were running online backups and something didn't work. Good thing we figured it out sooner rather than later, actually.

Yea, the vault partitions in this case were what was most recent in terms of the backup. We had about 30000 items that were on disk but not in the database after restore. We had also set the remove safety copies setting to "immediate for journaling".  

Follow those best practices and test those backups thoroughly.

Kai_Schröer
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello Folks!

With EV 8.0 come DVSSP and DVSCC on the top.

Is there a compatible version of the DVSChecker for EV8.0?

Thanks in advance and Best Regards!

Kai
-----------------------------------
https://twitter.com/pmcs_ev

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hey Kai,

In the future you would want to post your own unique post.  Have a read of this blog, it explains the new utility.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/evsvr-utility

Cheers,

Kai_Schröer
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello Tony,

in future I will open a new Thread. Every Forum / Board has it own rules to handle with old threads or similar topics.

I've seen in the blog that the repair-tools are not available.

So there is no possibilty to rebuild the database.

Maybe the Support know more.

Thanks!

Kai

Kai_Schröer
Level 5
Partner Accredited
For those guys which use the search:

Excerpt from 8.0.2 - Enhancements:

Enhancements to EVSVR utility

This service pack includes a new version of the EVSVR command-line utility. The main enhancements in this version are as follows:

• As well as performing Report and Verify operations with EVSVR, you can now perform the following Repair operations:

• Verify and correct the reference counts of savesets and SIS parts in the collection records in the vault store databases.
    • Recreate any missing information on the SIS parts that are used by savesets in the vault store databases.
    • Verify the number of references to SIS parts in the fingerprint databases against the number of references in all vault store databases in the vault store group, and correct any that is wrong.
    • Recreate any missing SIS part references in the fingerprint databases.
    • Recreate any missing saveset references in the vault store databases.
    • Blacklist any SIS part that does not verify correctly because it does not exist, has the wrong size, or does not match the value in the fingerprint database. After you blacklist a SIS part, archiving a new item with the same SIS part causes Enterprise Vault to create a new SIS part file on disk.
    • Report on the number of unreferenced, unshared, and shared SIS parts, after a repair operation has completed.
  • You can now load an existing operation file in the EVSVR Operations dialog box for editing.
  • EVSVR now checks the availability of the vault store databases and fingerprint databases before it tries to perform any operation on them. Previously, multiple error messages would appear in the log file if EVSVR undertook operations on databases that it could not access. [Ref 802400, 802448, E1466493, E1472465, E1520801, E1534636]
  • You can no longer choose to process a single archive if the operation that you want to perform does not support this level of granularity. The operations that this change affects are as follows:

• Partition Report.
    • FingerprintCatalogue Report.
    • DatabaseReferences Verify.
    • DatabaseLinkages Verify and Complete Verify. In these cases, you can still choose to process a single archive, but some phases of the operations process the entire vault store. [Ref 802519, E1635740]

For more information on these enhancements, see the Utilities manual. The following technical note on the Symantec Enterprise Support site provides additional guidance on when to use EVSVR to identify and resolve various issues:

http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/326694

Have Phun!

:-)