cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconnect shortcuts to files on disk

leroyhoov
Level 3

Long story short, we had a sql database get corrupted. The shortcuts are still in the mailboxes, and the dvs files are still on disk, but the database entries that link the two are broken. Is there a tool that will rebuild this? I don't care about chain of custody, I just want the system to be able to find the attachments and include them in the pst when I export the mailboxes from the vault.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

yeah give support a call and get a copy of VSVerify and DVSChecker.

First thing to do would be to run DVSChecker to get the items back in, and then VSVerify to get rid of extraneous SQL Records, because if you run expiry or let users delete , there will be sql records that exist where the DVS Files do not exist

But the thing is though, you're going to have major problems.

So the structure for items is spread across the Vault Store and EnterpriseVaultDirectory databases

So lets say I have an archive that i created and I have a couple of folders created.

In the Enterprise Vault Directory I have records in Archive and the root table which describe the actual archive itself, and for each folder i archive i will have an entry in Root and ArchiveFolder.

Then in the Vault Store I have an entry for ArchivePoint which is the actual archive itself, which ties itself to the directory databases Archive table, and then for each Folder in ArchiveFolder is an entry in the Vault Stores "Vault" table

So lets say you have a current up to date EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, but your vault store is 3 months old, any archives created in the last 3 months will not exist in the Vault Store database, any folders that have been archived in the last 3 months will not exist in the vault store.

So with DVSChecker you may just find that you won't be in any better position because the archive and folder details don't exist in the vault store db

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6

What version of Enterprise Vault are you using?
If you are on EV8 SP2 and above, you can use EVSVR to reinsert the entries in to the database
If you are on EV2007 and below you can use DVSChecker, however if you use collections (CAB files) DVS Checker won't work for those items in the CAB files

Also which database got corrupted? Directory? Vault Store? Fingerprint etc?
And how old is rhe restored database you put back in place?

leroyhoov
Level 3

We have EV 7.5. Where can I find the tool, by calling support? The SQL server had a vmware issue, but I'm not sure which databases got hit the worst. There was a 3-month-old backup with which we were able to (mostly) ressurect the EV server, but there were some users that started with the company during that 3-month window that we may have no hope of recovering.

I think dvschecker will do the trick, as this sounds exactly like what I need to do: "DVSChecker is used to compare the contents of your Vault Store folders to the corresponding SQLdatabase. It can read the metadata of the DVS file and recreate saveset entries in SQL if they are missing."

Thanks!

JesusWept3
Level 6

yeah give support a call and get a copy of VSVerify and DVSChecker.

First thing to do would be to run DVSChecker to get the items back in, and then VSVerify to get rid of extraneous SQL Records, because if you run expiry or let users delete , there will be sql records that exist where the DVS Files do not exist

But the thing is though, you're going to have major problems.

So the structure for items is spread across the Vault Store and EnterpriseVaultDirectory databases

So lets say I have an archive that i created and I have a couple of folders created.

In the Enterprise Vault Directory I have records in Archive and the root table which describe the actual archive itself, and for each folder i archive i will have an entry in Root and ArchiveFolder.

Then in the Vault Store I have an entry for ArchivePoint which is the actual archive itself, which ties itself to the directory databases Archive table, and then for each Folder in ArchiveFolder is an entry in the Vault Stores "Vault" table

So lets say you have a current up to date EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, but your vault store is 3 months old, any archives created in the last 3 months will not exist in the Vault Store database, any folders that have been archived in the last 3 months will not exist in the vault store.

So with DVSChecker you may just find that you won't be in any better position because the archive and folder details don't exist in the vault store db