cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover contents from DVS files

bobdobbs
Level 2

I hope this is an easy one. I inherited a dead evault server (7.5 sp6). However, I still have the files from the file system, but they are in dvs format. I understand that in version 8, something changed to make it near impossible to extract the contents of the dvs files. Since this was a 7.5 system, I'm hoping there's a tool I can get that will open these files and let me at the attachments. All I have from the users is the shortcut in their mailbox that allows me to find the relevant dvs file from the file system.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

when you say dead, how dead do you mean?
I take it you cant get the database online for you to at least do the PST Exports?
really the only option is double click each item and save the message ......

I don't know of any tools out there that will do so, though one can probably be developed
ping me if you'd like to talk, but really with the tools that are available it's either going to cost a little bit of money or its going to be incredibly time consuming

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

when you say dead, how dead do you mean?
I take it you cant get the database online for you to at least do the PST Exports?
really the only option is double click each item and save the message ......

I don't know of any tools out there that will do so, though one can probably be developed
ping me if you'd like to talk, but really with the tools that are available it's either going to cost a little bit of money or its going to be incredibly time consuming

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

bobdobbs
Level 2

All I have left is a folder full of dvs files and an iso for 7.5 since helpdesk formatted the server. I was told that the old admin used to just go onto the server and double-click the dvs files and they would open in outlook just like a msg file.

What about dvsspy?

bobdobbs
Level 2

OK I was able to get the dvs file open. Here's how I did it, for any poor schlamozzel who needs to know.

Find a copy of the ev_client.msi and install it. It has to be for 7.5, as I understand they changed the underlying format in v8. Install outlook and the the client on a workstation and viola. Once outlook gets done coughing up hairballs, the dvs file will open in outlook with the attachment.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

how do you scale that across your entire data set? or did you just have that one single DVS file you wanted to examine?

bobdobbs
Level 2

Oh it doesn't scale worth a damn, but at this stage of the game, it's just one or two users once in a while that ask after an attachment from a dead shortcut. If you know some tricks, I'd love to hear them.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

no tricks but something more along the lines of what alex was suggesting. but i guess that depends on your requirements.