cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering files from Netapp

margiev
Level 4

We recently migrated data from a Windows 2003 server to a Netapp Ontap device.  Many of the files are archived.  We tried to use the Snapshot feature to recover a previous version of a folder that had been deleted, which contained archived files.  After the folder was recovered, the archived files appeared without the archive icon on them, or the Offline attribute.  When attempting to open any of these files, we received an error message that the file was corrupt.   Is this behavior to be expected?  If so, what is the preferred method to recover archived files that a user has deleted?  We don't perform backups on the Netapp device, just snapshots and snapvault.

2 REPLIES 2

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello margiev,

Restoring a snapshot in the NetApp should not cause an error like the one you just described, unless there was an issue with the migration. However, you can use FSAUtility to recreate the placeholders in the CIFS share:

Recreating placeholders
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37834

I hope this helps.

margiev
Level 4

I don't believe there was a problem with the migration of those files.  We migrated them successfully and did not see any errors, and were able to open up an archived file in that location before someone deleted them.  Also I attempted to use the method you recommend to recover these files, and it did not work.  I have a case opened with Symantec to determine why that method did not work.