cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing the watchfile count

NameTaken
Level 4

Greetings,

We've several stores of around 100GB each, all but the current store are closed.  While attempting to move one of the older partitions to alternative storage, I have run a watchfile count query and been given a figure exceeding 35,000.  Overnight, when the incremental backup is completed, the count will fall to just over 30,000.

Looking at the table, it appears that most of the entries are for three of the closed partitions.  I ran a full backup of the evault stores only a few weeks ago for longterm storage, so am perplexed as to the count; I'm also a little unsure on the best course of action, hence my post here.

I would be grateful is someone could either suggest a path, or reference a document that does such.

Yours sincerely,
Russell.

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

what version of Enterprise Vault do you run?
There was a bug in one of the older versions where it would only do X amount of items and simply stop, it would just build and build

It's also possible that the items are shared with items in other vault stores or partitions that have not been backed up
For instance if you have an email with an attachment in VaultStore1, and then you archive an email in VaultStore2 that has the same attachment, that item in VaultStore2 will be Awaiting backup until VaultStore1 has been backed up also.

Other than that, you can spot check some items to see if the Archive attribute has been removed. It could be that the level or type of backup you're doing does not remove the archive bit

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

NameTaken
Level 4

Hi, and thank you for your reply.

We're running 10.04; I double-checked and the backup exec job is definitely set to use the archive bit method for files.  30,000 seems like rather too many for shared attachments, at least for our firm.

Russell.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK so do this for us, go to Vault Stores -> Your Vault Store and select a partition with a large number of items awaiting backup
then go to the Backup tab and press the Details button

Last Item Secured: 2/19/2016 9:09:22AM

Last Scan
 Scan State: Completed
 Last Scan Started 2/19/2016 9:06:25AM
 Last Scan Finished: 2/19/2016 9:10:31AM

Summary:
 Unsecured Items: 8406
 Secured Items: 7202
 Total Items: 15608

Unsecured Items:
 Unsecured Items In Local Partition: 8240
 Unsecured SIS Parts in local partition: 0
 Unsecured SIS Parts in Other Partitions: 166

Backup details
This dialog box provides detailed information about this vault store partition's status following the last backup or replication.
This includes counts of items that are not secured due to unsecured SIS parts on this partition, or on other partitions.
An item on this partition is not considered secured until all its component SIS parts are secured.

Last item secured shows the date and time when the last item on this partition was secured.

Last Scan provides details about the last scan, including the following:
 Scan State: The state of the last scan, Completed or In progress.
 Last Scan Started: The date and time the last scan started.
 Last Scan Finished: The date and time the last scan finished.

Summary provides a summary of the number of items processed during the last scan, including the following:
 Unsecured Items: The number of items that remain unsecured after the last scan.
 Secured Items: The number of items that were secured during the last scan.
 Total Items: The total number of items processed during the last scan.

Unsecured Items provides further information about unsecured items, including the following:
 Unsecured Items in Local Partition: The number of items that remain unsecured after the last scan.
 Unsecured SIS Parts in Local Partition: The number of items on this partition that are unsecured due to unsecured SIS parts on this partition.
 Unsecured SIS Parts in Other Partitions: The number of items on this partition that are unsecured due to unsecured SIS parts on other partitions.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

NameTaken
Level 4

Thank you for your reply, and sorry for the delayed response - first day back from a holiday.

I've checked the seven partitions (1 open, 6 closed) - the latest two closed partitions list:

Partition Store 5:

Last scan finished: 28/02/2016
Unsecured Items: 3688
Secured items: 0
Total Items: 3688
Unsecured Items in local partition: 3688

Partition Store 6:

Last scan finished: 28/02/2016
Unsecured Items: 21308
Secured items: 0
Total Items: 21308
Unsecured items in local partition: 20062
Unsecured SIS parts in other partitions: 1246

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Russel,

In the properties of your closed stores, what is the setting to check for backup? Archive Bit, or trigger file?

If archive bit, make sure archive bit is cleared from all files in the store (partitions). If cleared (you might want to run attrib -a *.* /s if you are sure all is backed up), set/clear backup mode.

If triggerfile, create a new triggerfile (make sure date/time of the file are current) set/clear backup mode.

Clearing backup mode will process the items, which should then give all files backed up.

Regards.

Regards. Gertjan

NameTaken
Level 4

Hi Gertjan,

Thank you for your advice, the backups are done using the archive bit.  I know that those stores were backup up, so I've reset the archive bit for those two stores, and the watchfile count now seems to be as I'd expect for this time of the day (under 6,000).

Thank you kindly for your help.

Russell.