Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Vault Admin Console for managing PST

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Hello

Enterprise vault 9.0.1 remote vault admin console nearly gave me a heart stroke today when it displayed "incorrect" retention category for migrated/migrating PST files. But before I exaggerate, let me bring you up to speed.

We're using Enterprise vault 9.0.1/SQL 2008 R2/Windows 2008 R2 SP1 environment. Recently for admin ease, I installed EV vault admin console on one of remote server so they can manage different things in environment from single server.

Today, while I was working from remote server, I had to check some PST migration issues for which I connected to PST file section of vault console. To my big shock, the migrated PST file were showing Journaling retention category which expires items after 30 days ! (Now, consider my situation, I felt world collapsing around me thinking that we've migrated 5TB of data with incorrect retention category !)

So I quickly connected to one of main EV server and double checked and the Default retention category was showing against the same set of PST files. (World started to get together at this point)

So below was observation:

1. Remote vault console was showing the first retention category of environment against all PST files.
  2. Vault console on EV server was showing correct retention cateogyr, the retention category configured along with PST migration policy against all PST files.
  3. Checked dbo.PSTFile table in SQL and it showed RetentionCategoryID as NULL for all PST files.
  4. Checked the item property on Outlook and the retention category ID shown was infact default retention cateogory which should be applied to data.

My world is still getting back together, but I've still turned off storage expiry on site to make sure we do not end up having no data at all for all users (which'll definitely get me fired at minimum !)

Any thoughts why remote vault admin console show incorrect retention category OR first retention category in environment against all PST files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sounds like a bug .. and you should raise a support case over it.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sounds like a bug .. and you should raise a support case over it.

Working for cloudficient.com

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Bug just with remote vault admin console/client right?

I quickly pulled expiry reports as well for vault store which contains maximum users and most of PST files are going into same (copied below), we should be ok to turn back on expiry processing on site level right? (Sorry I know I am double confirming obvious point but I am still having chill running down my spine)

Log Name:      Symantec Enterprise Vault
Source:        Enterprise Vault
Date:          11/16/2012 5:50:14 AM
Event ID:      7085
Task Category: Storage Delete
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      EVServer1.contoso.com
Description:
Storage Expiry Report

Vault Store Name: VaultStore1
Vault Store Id: <Not Required>

Number of vaults processed: 8437
Number of vaults enabled for expiry: 8434
Total number of expired items deleted: 0
Total number of items that could not be deleted: 0

Items marked with sent\received date based retention categories have been deleted:
(none)

Items marked with archived date based retention categories have been deleted:
(none)

Start Time: 11/16/2012 5:30 AM
End Time: 11/16/2012 5:50 AM

Log Name:      Symantec Enterprise Vault
Source:        Enterprise Vault
Date:          11/13/2012 12:23:49 AM
Event ID:      7085
Task Category: Storage Delete
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      EVServer1.contoso.com
Description:
Storage Expiry Report

Vault Store Name: VaultStore1
Vault Store Id: <Not Required>

Number of vaults processed: 8417
Number of vaults enabled for expiry: 8414
Total number of expired items deleted: 0
Total number of items that could not be deleted: 0

Items marked with sent\received date based retention categories have been deleted:
(none)

Items marked with archived date based retention categories have been deleted:
(none)

Start Time: 11/13/2012 12:00 AM
End Time: 11/13/2012 12:23 AM