cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote site archiving

ASG_Roger
Level 2
Partner

I have an Exchange environment over three sites (2 sites with redundancy (6000 users split across Site 1 & Site 2) & 1 additional remote site (site 3 - 1000 users))

For EV, I’m proposing to design a centralised model, either at Site 1 or Site 2. However, in order to deploy this, I not sure how I would accommodate archiving mail for the 1000 users in site 3.

Thanks in Advance.

ASG Roger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think it really depends on the WAN Links and where the Exchange servers are held.
If its pretty fast then you could have it centralized and have the EV Servers just target the exchange servers.

But you also have to take in to account what user experience you're going to provide to the user
IMAP? Vault Cache? Virtual Vault? Archive Explorer only etc?

So lets say you have a 100MB link between the two offices, and you have 1000 users.
You give them virtual vault, and on average they have 2GB archives.

Well at that point you're pulling 1.95TB of data down, so you could be in theory saturating your network
Obviously you could throttle the connections via BITS or what not and then you might get user complaints its slow.

Typically the way most sites like that would have the biggest Exchange site with EV installed and the directory database, and the remote sites would have EV sitting next to the Exchange servers and host their own vault stores and vault store groups and indexes remotely, with the only thing going across the network being configuration and stuff like that from the Directory database held on a remote sql server

If the connections are REALLY slow then you might even go a step further and have individual EV Sites per remote site, because you have to take in to account the user experience, since many don't like EV at first, if you make it difficult or slow for them, then that can quickly derail a project.

But as with anything, you're best off with a pilot, set it up how you'd like ideally with a number of test users and if you're comfortable with the network usage, speed, latency etc then you can move forward, if not , roll back and evaluate etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think it really depends on the WAN Links and where the Exchange servers are held.
If its pretty fast then you could have it centralized and have the EV Servers just target the exchange servers.

But you also have to take in to account what user experience you're going to provide to the user
IMAP? Vault Cache? Virtual Vault? Archive Explorer only etc?

So lets say you have a 100MB link between the two offices, and you have 1000 users.
You give them virtual vault, and on average they have 2GB archives.

Well at that point you're pulling 1.95TB of data down, so you could be in theory saturating your network
Obviously you could throttle the connections via BITS or what not and then you might get user complaints its slow.

Typically the way most sites like that would have the biggest Exchange site with EV installed and the directory database, and the remote sites would have EV sitting next to the Exchange servers and host their own vault stores and vault store groups and indexes remotely, with the only thing going across the network being configuration and stuff like that from the Directory database held on a remote sql server

If the connections are REALLY slow then you might even go a step further and have individual EV Sites per remote site, because you have to take in to account the user experience, since many don't like EV at first, if you make it difficult or slow for them, then that can quickly derail a project.

But as with anything, you're best off with a pilot, set it up how you'd like ideally with a number of test users and if you're comfortable with the network usage, speed, latency etc then you can move forward, if not , roll back and evaluate etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I have had the experiece of archiving from remote locations on several occasions and generally it works pretty well.  It goes without saying that you need to have sufficient bandwitdh to suppor the archiving data volumes, but generally you'll only be pulling 2-4GB per hour during the archivnig run and with 1000 users in one site and ~3,000 users remote in the other you should be fine in most cases. The concern of user experience is greatly mitigated by the use of Virtual Vault in that EV will pre-copy items directly from the Outlook OST to the Vault Cache on the local machine and then update the pointers when the item is actually archived.  What this means is that the sync of the Vault Cache is very small and not actually moving much data.  Obviously if you have to rebuild a profile or vault cache you would have to pull down the entire archive.

With EV11 we also have IMAP functionality which in my pilot testing appears to be well received by the users.