cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of Enterprise Vault for Exchange

sentinelguy
Level 2

Hi
We are removing Enterprise Vault for Exchange from our environment. We have 1 x Exchange 2010 server. I have followed the process below:

- Stopped the Exchange Archiving task over 6 months ago.
- Exported the content of the Exchange archives following TECH174352 as we wanted to keep them as a backup.
- Delete the individual archives from the console from Archives – Exchange Mailbox.
- Removed the Mailbox EV Partitions.

Everything so far as been successful. I now want to remove the Mailbox Vault Store and then Exchange target. We are still running Vault for File server archiving so Vault is not being decommissioned completely.

I'm following this article to double check everything before removing the Vault Store and target: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH50256

But there are still mailboxes showing on my Exchange server as associated to Vault as per step 1 in the article, it appears to be every mailbox in my Exchange organisation. The TECH article states that is there are mailboxes associated then they should be moved to another Exchange server, but we only have one. How can I remove the associations so that I can ultimately and safely decommission Vault?

I'm new to Vault so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you can delete the provisioning and mailbox archiving tasks and exchange target and if you have no Exchange mailbox archives in EV and no vault store partitions then there shouldn't be anything holding you back from deleting the mailbox vault store. just make sure that you dont have any fsa archives in there by mistake.

sentinelguy
Level 2

AndrewB, thanks for your response....

So just to confirm, its ok to delete the Vault Store group related to the mailboxes and the Exchange target even though my mailboxes are still associated to Vault? I really do not want to upset anything in Exchange...

AndrewB

yes because if you were going to upset something it would have happened when you did this:

"Stopped the Exchange Archiving task over 6 months ago.
Delete the individual archives from the console from Archives – Exchange Mailbox.
Removed the Mailbox EV Partitions."

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

You might want to run a "zap" with EVPM to remove the hidden message from all mailboxes, then you can remove the provisioning task and archive tasks.

sentinelguy
Level 2

Hi WiTSend, how would I perform a "zap"? And why would I need to do this?

Thanks

sentinelguy
Level 2

Hi all

I would appreciate a bit of guidence here, I have conflicting replies and want to ensure I can decommission Vault for Exchange safely and without issues. Any further help would be appraciated.

Many thanks

AndrewB

i dont see any conflict. the other poster suggested an additional step which is entirely optional. here's a technote about what he's referring to http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028255